Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2017, 07:35 AM

Default Re: 12.8.2 and Midi : more disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
I use which ever program works for which ever project i am working on .. music, post, etc .. have Cubase Pro 8, Studio One Artist, Reaper, LOgic 9, but have to use Pro Tools for most work, the others for some or just for a feature or two .. can be frustrating to not be able to do it all in one program .. and yes, PT feels better for Audio, and tolerable for Midi ..
This is my dilemma as well. I have to use PT for Post, although I use several other DAW's for composition.

That's why whenever this comes up, and people like me sound off, the reply is often, "Why are you even here?" or "Why don't you just use [program X] then?".

If PT wasn't a requirement for my job, I wouldn't.

The other point raised here is, if users haven't used another DAW for midi, then you have no idea what they're missing. Logic and Cubase do midi very well (both not without bugs, of course), but PT does audio better than most.

Therein lies the dilemma.

Which brings me back to my original point earlier in the thread - compose in Logic, mix in PT. People have been doing this for years.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 10-23-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
did this translate correctly "Not the sound. Pt is better for recording and playback. And its use is universal in pro studios"

if this is correct, then you use it because you Have To, not because you Want to !!! i understand ..

i use which ever program works for which ever project i am working on .. music, post, etc .. have Cubase Pro 8, Studio One Artist, Reaper, LOgic 9, but have to use Pro Tools for most work, the others for some or just for a feature or two .. can be frustrating to not be able to do it all in one program .. and yes, PT feels better for Audio, and tolerable for Midi ..

cheers and thank you john
Yes John, that's right. Forgive me, I did not translate this part. I think exactly like you. Thank you !
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 10-23-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
The first thing is the interface: 4 windows with drop down menus and sliders. These drop-down menus, in the same windows, lead us to different functions that can be useful in chain, quickly. Which is impossible via drop-down menus. A drop-down menu, it dates from the time when the screens were small, without HD. Today, we have enough space. All these windows should be open in one panel, where everything is directly accessible. On the other hand, these windows are dysfunctional. For example: if I have already entered with my mouse a set of notes and I want to mount them an octave, I open the panel, I unwind the menu and I move the silly slider or I enter +1 or - 1. But it does not work, because I opened the stupid window after. I have to re-enter the notes with my mouse, once the window is open. Another example: no shortcuts to go up or down the octave. In an orchestral arrangement, we do that 1000 times. And I do not even talk about filter changes that Cubase and even Reaper allows. PT has great success in MIDI, but the work is not finished. People who are satisfied with PT simply do not know the possibilities of other daw. That's why they are happy. I gave quick examples, but there are hundreds.
Agreed, the MIDI operations panels are buggy for data entry. They seem to have a problem with losing focus, so sometimes hitting enter makes it act, while other times nothing happens. There's no visual feedback when it happens, so it's painful to figure out if things take or not.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:57 AM

I wish MIDI tracks would default to note view. Also I wish that region edits would not bleed through into note view as a cluttered mess of vertical lines all over the note track. It's useless, ugly, and hard to look at.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
This is my dilemma as well. I have to use PT for Post, although I use several other DAW's for composition.

That's why whenever this comes up, and people like me sound off, the reply is often, "Why are you even here?" or "Why don't you just use [program X] then?".

If PT wasn't a requirement for my job, I wouldn't.

The other point raised here is, if users haven't used another DAW for midi, then you have no idea what they're missing. Logic and Cubase do midi very well (both not without bugs, of course), but PT does audio better than most.

Therein lies the dilemma.

Which brings me back to my original point earlier in the thread - compose in Logic, mix in PT. People have been doing this for years.

tg
+1
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com