Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > Buy & Sell

Old 09-26-2019, 11:11 AM

Default How to buy plug-ins

Hi, I am pretty computer savvy but not when it comes to licenses.
If I bought a plug-in, how are licenses transferred?
I know some require iLok and some don't.
I have an iLok2.
Thanks!
Old 09-26-2019, 11:37 AM

Default Re: How to buy plug-ins

What exact version of pro tools do you have? Version number and First? standard? Ultimate?

What plugins are you looking at? From Avid or what vendors... Licensing all differs, most vendors do a reasonable job describing their licensing scheme on their web site. Or are you looking at private sales/used stuff? But again... what exact pro tools and what exact plugins (or at least vendor).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-26-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:40 AM

Sorry,
Latest version of Pro Tools standard.
Was inquiring in general in case I wanted to by used plugs here.
Occasionally I see something I am interested in.
So it seem my question is too vague.
Thanks for the response.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:33 AM

If you are curious to play more with plugins the Avid Complete Plugin bundle may be a place to start and rentable/subscribable for relatively low cost (or is included in some Pro Tools subscriptions). Otherwise if you ask here for recommendations for what you want to do folks can suggest plugins or bundles. Be prepared for some sticker shock

Oh and used plugins... that's a very long story. If Avid plugin you may be better with the Complete Plugin Bundle. For other vendors it exactly depends on how they do licensing, and their transfer policy/process. You also need to understand what plugin version any licenses you would get license you up to, again all vendor/plugin dependent. And for compatibility with your Pro Tools that plugin version(s) needs to be in AAX-64 format. Some advertised here are RTAS and/or TDM.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-30-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:26 AM

Pro Tools comes with a pretty handy collection of plugins, it has 90 percent of all you'll ever need, I would start using that and then buy improved versions from other manufacturers whenever you feel like one of them isn't doing all you want.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:48 PM

I've had good experiences with used plugin purchases, but you need to be cautious. For example, if you see something for sale here, but the seller only shows a handful of posts, they have not established themselves here, so I would be reluctant to give them money. When it comes to eBay, a lot of feedback that is 100% positive(or close to that with several hundred sales) shows that the seller is trustworthy.

Another thing to consider is; how is the plugin licensed(and does the company that makes the plugin allow for transfer)? Things are pretty simple with stuff that uses iLok(but that does incur a transfer fee). Beware of plugins that come with an iLok but cannot be transferred. If its a killer deal on something you need, just be aware that it will probably never be able to be upgraded and you may get zero support(in case you're wondering, you CAN connect multiple iLoks from multiple accounts and all licenses will be seen as valid). Authorization codes are a mixed bag(for me) and some(IK Multimedia is one) seem to lose their authorization at the drop of a hat. Example of this; I rotate multiple system drives(newest updates can be tried out without screwing up a good-working rig, and a virus attack is countered by removing the infected drive and cloning over it). Every time I switch drives, my IK plugins need to be authorized again(which frankly, is a PITA). Everything that uses iLok simply works...For all the grief folks heap on iLok, its actually my 2nd favorite after Waves on a USB stick

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave