Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2013, 03:14 PM

Default generates the playback buffer latency in aux tracks on HDX systems in PT 11?

Avid,

i have a very question which was answered/discussed anywhere:

in the past the "only" disadvantage of an DSP system (HD) was that native plug ins between DSP plugs and in AUX track generates additional 2x system buffer size latency-delay.
in sessions with lots off native plugs with old HD systems the over all latency changes extremely when changing the buffer size.

(i know that HDX has 16k delay comp. but anyway)

is this problem / behavior the same with HDX systems ?
if yes, is this latency (with native plugs in aux tracks) in PT11 HDX systems also the 2x playback buffer (witch is not adjustable) for example 2x1024 @ 44,1kHz

Avid can you answer this question?

thank you in advance
Frank
Old 06-27-2013, 06:35 PM

Post Re: generates the playback buffer latency in aux tracks on HDX systems in PT 11?

I don't work for Avid.

On a TDM system, if you went DSP-->Native-->DSP, you used up 2x the number of voices in the signal path. If you were working with a 5.1 aux in this scenario, you ate up 12 voices going through the native plug-in (6 in, 6 out).

On an HDX system, if you go DSP-->Native-->DSP, you only incur a 1 voice per channel penalty. Using the same example above, a 5.1 aux on an HDX system with a DSP-->Native-->DSP signal flow only uses 6 additional voices.

I do not know if latency is doubled, halved, etc. in these scenarios.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:17 PM

Default Re: generates the playback buffer latency in aux tracks on HDX systems in PT 11?

It works a little differently on hdx and pt11. In pt11 you incure the definable playback buffer. So I would set that to 64 samples and only incure 128 sample delay and have the rest of the session run at the fixed playback buffer which is 1028 at 48k.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 06-28-2013, 02:01 AM

Default Re: generates the playback buffer latency in aux tracks on HDX systems in PT 11?

yes, thats the same with the old HD. the delay depends on the buffer size i chose.
but are you shure that the delay on HDX depends on the "Input/recording" buffer? and not on the fix playback buffer? have you tested it?

if it depends on the input buffer, then the system with a low buffer (32/64) gets more unstable with a lot of tracks using that small buffer.
the idea of the separate input and playback buffer was to get this small buffer only for the recording tracks. but if i have 100 tracks on HDX with dsd->native->dsp plugs the system will get more problems. i think.
do you understand?
AVID ?
thanx
Frank
Old 06-29-2013, 11:28 AM

Avid, can you explain it !
i think this is important.
thanx
Frankly