Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-07-2008, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Kernel Panic with Mbox2 USB

I'm having this problem on new 2008 Macbook Pro 15" when shutting down after unplugging the Mbox2. Just a heads up for those that are interested.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:17 AM

Hey, I have the same issue with the Mbox Mini on a 2008 MBP. To be honest, I'm not very happy with the solution of restarting every time I need to unplug my mbox. What's the point of having a portable computer if you can't take it anywhere without shutting it down all the time? As I'm always moving around, I sometimes don't have time to shut down, and so if the mbox is still plugged in, it means I'm going to have a kernel panic while I'm out somewhere! Is there any word on new drivers or a fix for this, because the workaround is not acceptable!
Old 02-24-2009, 04:34 PM

Has anyone else noticed that they have a hanging coreaudiod process in activity monitor? I can force quit and it starts up fine, but then stops responding after about 20 seconds...I'm wondering if this is the issue?
Old 02-24-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbenjy View Post
Has anyone else noticed that they have a hanging coreaudiod process in activity monitor? I can force quit and it starts up fine, but then stops responding after about 20 seconds...I'm wondering if this is the issue?
Several hundreds of us I guess. A related issue:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=194592
Old 02-25-2009, 07:02 PM

Probably the worst decision I have made for my Mac was to buy an Mbox. Not only does it hang every other application when plugged IN but gives me Kernel Panic messages when I take it OUT. Glad to see that I'm not just trippin' and this is quite common. I'd make a comment otherwise but I think this thread was informative... Thanks
Old 02-25-2009, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Kernel Panic with Mbox2 USB -- partially isolated problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
To lessen the possibility of a kernel panic, just make sure that NO application is using Core Audio and that the Sound control panel is set to built-in before you shut down. Also never connect or disconnect the Mbox while the computer is on.
I always do what you suggest, but still experience a crash of the OS after using Pro Tools for at least 20 minutes or so.

BUT -- I've isolated the problem, to a certain extent: the problem occurs when quiting Safari or QuickTime. Since I always have at least Safari running just before shutting down, I used to think that the problem was in shutting down. However, if, after quitting Pro Tools (after at least 20 minutes of usage), and after then going into System Preferences -> Sound and making sure that "Line Out", rather than Mbox 2 is selected -- if at that point, I then quit Safari (if it was running too) or quit QuickTime (if it was running too), then the OS crashes, every time.

Here are the specs of my system and my version of Pro Tools:

Mac Pro, 2 x Intel processors, 6 Gb Ram, running OS 10.4.11

Pro Tools, version 7.4cs7, but with update cs8 (the latest) applied.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:45 AM

I have had an MBox 2 Pro for a while and never had any problems. I started using an MBox micro a few days ago and have had 5 kernel crashes. Digi output isnt selected in system prefs. The crash seems to happen about 15 min after I pull the Micro from the USB port.

MacBookPro 2.5, 2GB Ram
PT LE 8 cs2
Micro
MBox Pro

no other apps open

an progress on this problem????
Old 03-12-2009, 02:46 PM

I have the same problem with the mbox micro. my computer crashes when I go to shut down or put the computer to sleep after using the micro. Even if pro-tools has been closed for hours and I go to shut down, it still happens.

I'm using a macbook pro (2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo) 4 GB RAM. I have PT LE 8.0, but it did the same in version 7.4.3 as well.

This happens EVERY TIME I use the mbox 2 micro. Pro-Tools works great, it's only when I go to shut down. IT'S ANNOYING THE BALLS OFF ME.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDigi View Post
I have had an MBox 2 Pro for a while and never had any problems. I started using an MBox micro a few days ago and have had 5 kernel crashes. Digi output isnt selected in system prefs. The crash seems to happen about 15 min after I pull the Micro from the USB port.
Don't disconnect the Mbox from the computer while the computer is still on.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
I have the same problem with the mbox micro. my computer crashes when I go to shut down or put the computer to sleep after using the micro. Even if pro-tools has been closed for hours and I go to shut down, it still happens.

I'm using a macbook pro (2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo) 4 GB RAM. I have PT LE 8.0, but it did the same in version 7.4.3 as well.

This happens EVERY TIME I use the mbox 2 micro. Pro-Tools works great, it's only when I go to shut down. IT'S ANNOYING THE BALLS OFF ME.
Did you see this suggestion a few posts up?

Quote:
To lessen the possibility of a kernel panic, just make sure that NO application is using Core Audio and that the Sound control panel is set to built-in before you shut down. Also never connect or disconnect the Mbox while the computer is on.