Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2010, 12:20 PM

Question Do I have a defective 11R unit?

Hello all,

I'm at wits end here...I purchased an 11R about 3 weeks ago & I'm having major issues with it. I'm hoping that someone can offer an idea or two to help me fix before I request an RA with DTS.

First things first, as a standalone, the 11R I have works great. No issues whatsoever. All my wiring is correct - get plenty of sound.

The problem is: When I have the unit plugged in via USB & launch PTLE 8.0.4, I get no volume out of the 11R and what's really bizarre is, every time I bring up the 11R control window, I'm able to adjust the settings but the tuner is completely unresponsive (frozen). On the control window in PT, the note display freezes on "C", while the 11R display freezes on "F" - very weird!

Thing is, PTLE8.0.4 (My PC as well) clearly recognizes the 11R as an interface in the I/O settings and all the sample rates correspond with one another - still no sound, frozen tuner.

I do run PTMP8.0.4 (co-installed with PTLE8.0.4) with my DELTA 1010 interface. But I disable it and enable my 11R every time I run PTLE8.0.4 - still no sound, frozen tuner.

I also installed PTLE8.0.4 on my laptop and configured my 11R as the interface - still no sound, frozen tuner.

I've tried re-booting the 11R, uninstalling & re-installing PT's several times and the result is all the same - no sound, frozen tuner.

Don't get me wrong, as frustrating as this has been, it hasn't been all bad. It really opened my eyes to learning how everything functions & works, so I'm not complaining.

I'd just like to know if there's something I'm missing before I get an RA from DTS. Also, I've already contacted ACS, they actually stated it could be a hardware issue and told me to call DTS.

Please advise your thoughts. I welcome all feedback!

Thanks! - Nito

WINDOWS XP - SP3, AMD DUAL CORE 2 PROCESSOR, 4GB
DELTA 1010 INTERFACE - USE PTMP8.0.4
ELEVEN RACK - USE PTLE8.0.4
Old 10-13-2010, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Do I have a defective 11R unit?

have you updated the 11r firmware to 1.0.3 ??
120GB OCZ Agility 3, 2 TB WD Green

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Pro Tools 8.0.5

M-Audio Keyrig 49
Eleven Rack w/ERXP
FCB1010 | Mackie SRM450v2 | Taylor 314ce | Ibanez RG321MH | ESP Horizon NT-II DSBS
Old 10-13-2010, 02:15 PM

Sorry, should have mentioned that...Yes, I updated to firmware 1.0.3. It was actually one of the first things I did.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:26 PM

When you turn on PTools, if you open up a session and get ready to record the 11R will not respond until you enable it inside one of the recording tracks. What I do when I just to use the 11R control module and not record is say yes to the first dialogue box that pops up and no to the second. That way I have PT open but not set up to record and the 11R control module is there. Try that and see if that works.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhfish View Post
When you turn on PTools, if you open up a session and get ready to record the 11R will not respond until you enable it inside one of the recording tracks. What I do when I just to use the 11R control module and not record is say yes to the first dialogue box that pops up and no to the second. That way I have PT open but not set up to record and the 11R control module is there. Try that and see if that works.
CRHFISH...I see what you're saying and unfortunately I did try this a few times but the result was same - no audio out of the 11R (not even PT playback) and a non-responsive tuner. Again, my apologies. I should have mentioned this earlier.

Still, the weird thing to me is the tuner not responding. That combined with no audio playback is making me it's the 11R hardware (though I'm only assuming). Any idea why you think this may be?

Appreciate the response. Same to "muziqman" as well.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:10 PM

Just wanted to clarify my last response...I get playback out of PT's (I can see all the track signal meters lighting up when I click play), just no sound. Again, as a standalone, I get sound out of the 11R so I know my connections are right. I just don't get sound and tuner response when plugged into my PC via USB.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:32 PM

I can say I have never seen a frozen tuner under any situation. I wish I could help more, but perhaps you do have a bad 11R. Its weird thats it associated with PT though.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhfish View Post
I can say I have never seen a frozen tuner under any situation. I wish I could help more, but perhaps you do have a bad 11R. Its weird thats it associated with PT though.
Thanks yo'...I'll be calling DTS tomorrow. Appreciate the help!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:02 PM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

Hmmm, works in standalone, but not when connected to comp. Leads me to believe that there is a problem in the software or any extra hardware used to connect the 11R. And because you have done fresh installs of each, it may somewhat rule out software. So that points me again to extra hardware. But what would be the extra hardware in the setup?

USB cable? Sometimes a faulty USB cable makes the 11R act all weird cause the 11R is constantly communicating with PT. Also, a faulty USB cable can sometimes mess up firmware updates and such.

Try to replace the USB cable and/or switch to a different USB port to eliminate the connection as an issue. It's a quick test, and its usually the cheapest component to replace.

If it still doesn't work, you may need to send the unit to be repaired or replaced.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 10-13-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgt621 View Post
Hmmm, works in standalone, but not when connected to comp. Leads me to believe that there is a problem in the software or any extra hardware used to connect the 11R. And because you have done fresh installs of each, it may somewhat rule out software. So that points me again to extra hardware. But what would be the extra hardware in the setup?

USB cable? Sometimes a faulty USB cable makes the 11R act all weird cause the 11R is constantly communicating with PT. Also, a faulty USB cable can sometimes mess up firmware updates and such.

Try to replace the USB cable and/or switch to a different USB port to eliminate the connection as an issue. It's a quick test, and its usually the cheapest component to replace.

If it still doesn't work, you may need to send the unit to be repaired or replaced.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help.
When I downloaded PTLE8 onto my laptop & configured the 11R, I did use a different USB cable. Unfortunately, I still had the same problem - no sound, frozen tuner.

But you raise a good point. I did use the USB cable that came with the 11R to download the recent firmware update. Perhaps the cable was faulty as I did the download? My thinking is that maybe it messed up the firmware up causing these weird problems. Not sure, it's way over my head.

In any case, I'll be calling DTS tomorrow and finding out.

Any details help me greatly so thank you...Appreciate it.