Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 02-21-2021, 11:50 AM

Default Does a new ultimate perpetual include legacy HD 11/12?

I still need access to legacy HD 11 or HD 12. (Currently own 10 HD)

Since it appears to be difficult to purchase either of these licenses used, I'm exploring purchasing Ultimate Perpetual.

But the fact a "ultimate perpetual bundle" version that included the 10/11/12 HD licenses existed previously, while the Ultimate Perpetual does not include this specific language, has me doubting that legacy versions are included with a new Ultimate perp.

But, surely, us using older computers with older OS are not excluded from being able to lock in access to the current ultimate version while also getting something that works with our current setup.

Can anyone shed some light, please?
Old 02-21-2021, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Does a new ultimate perpetual include legacy HD 11/12?

AFAIK, yes. But if you go for subscription then it would be latest version only.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:38 AM

I got a response on Avid sales chat:

Me: Does a new Ultimate Perpetual license include access to legacy HD versions such as HD 11/ HD 12?

Avid sales chat: No, it will only allow you to get access to PT HD 12.6 and higher.

That is rough. I mostly want access to the 64 bit system, I do not NEED12.6, just 11-12.5. Obviously Avid is doing this so they can dig into pockets for the digilink license fee.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:19 AM

I think that is misinformation. If your license authorizes 12.6 it will surely also authorize 12.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2021, 02:48 PM

^^^ I have the same reaction as Janne.

You don't give any information about where you are located. But if you are in the USA just pick up the phone and call a high-end dealer like Sweetwater or Vintage King. Folks there know this stuff backwards, if the person you are talking to does not then ask for a Pro Tools licensing expert. This is going to be be better than dealing with Avid (unless you know a rep there) and likely getting answers from some underpaid person in an outsourced call center.

Maybe confirm with an email. Even if a rep there gave you incorrect information I expect companies like Sweetwater or Vintage King to make you whole/let you return stuff.

I would have expected there are Pro Tools 12.5 and earlier licenses available in the used market, their price/value should have collapsed as upgrade reinstatement have gone away. But make sure you are buying a legitimate licenses. I wonder if the reduction in sales, and what seems to be some sellers not active on EBay is due to work by Avid. if so good on them.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:26 PM

Perpetual licenses changed with the 12.6 release:
  • "Pro Tools 12" authorizes version 12.0-12.5.2
  • "Pro Tools Perpetual" authorizes version 12.6/higher (the Release Limit date seen in iLM's Details determines the most current version supported)
The bundle that also includes 10/11/12 is only provided by upgrading (Reinstatement) not with new perpetual purchases.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:51 PM

... and then there is always jeffro to help clarify stuff. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Perpetual licenses changed with the 12.6 release:
  • "Pro Tools Perpetual" authorizes version 12.6/higher (the Release Limit date seen in iLM's Details determines the most current version supported)
The bundle that also includes 10/11/12 is only provided by upgrading (Reinstatement) not with new perpetual purchases.
Thanks Jeffro.. So, if i buy an upgrade/reinstatement i get the 10/11/12 bundle plus access to the current PT version?

By the way, I just called my rep at sweetwater and he said both the new license and the reinstatement only give access to the newest version, PT 2020.12. So it seems there is still confusion around what is actually provided.

But it seems like if you want to pay for a product you should get the option to receive something that actually works for your system.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindkind View Post
So, if i buy an upgrade/reinstatement i get the 10/11/12 bundle plus access to the current PT version?
Correct.
Quote:
By the way, I just called my rep at sweetwater and he said both the new license and the reinstatement only give access to the newest version, PT 2020.12.
Incorrect.

New perpetual product includes a single Pro Tools Perpetual license (Ultimate includes a 2 license bundle with Pro Tools Perpetual and Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual). With either of these you can run v12.6 up through the Release Limit seen in iLM > Details. Your my.avid.com account will typically have the current and previous versions, but PT installers back to v12.6 can be found in the Avid Download Center.

Update Plan Reinstatement includes a bundle with licenses that authorize v10.0 up through the Release Limit. (4 licenses for Pro Tools, 9 licenses including DigiLink for Ultimate.)

Quote:
But it seems like if you want to pay for a product you should get the option to receive something that actually works for your system.
Well, we're selling current product, but the licensing does allow you to go back to 12.6 (OS X 10.9.5 and Win 7) with a new product or 10.0 (OS X 10.6 and Win 7 32-bit) with a reinstatement. See avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/Compatibility/Pro-Tools-Operating-System-Compatibility-Chart

Screenshot below shows a single Pro Tools Perpetual license, as well as the 2 reinstatement bundles - Pro Tools Perpetual Bundle (with 10/11/12) and Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual Bundle (with 10/11/12+I/O).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 11.57.28 PM.jpg (44.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-24-2021, 01:06 AM

Well you certainly cleared that up, again. You have my appreciation Jeffro!