Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2015, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Split hd upgrade fee like pt vanilla

I've got 2 HD and 1 standard license, I'm really in the "wait and see" column as whether or not to upgrade my HD b4 March next year, I've NEVER needed or used support and highly doubt I ever will so being able to pay less to keep current WITHOUT a support plan really floats my boat and I'd DEFINITELY upgrade both my HD licenses.

Keep pushing!
Old 10-07-2015, 05:12 PM

Add another vote for this. I have a vanilla 10 license and an 11HD license, and as things stand now, I will only be upgrading the vanilla license for $99. I don't want/ need support, I'm using an unsupported machine with unsupported hardware, and the only time I've ever needed Avid was when having a problem with my initial 10 authorization. And given that HD hasn't gotten any new features, it's really hard justifying spending $600 on it. But if we could get that down to say, $299 or $399 without support I'd upgrade my HD license.

Still hard to swallow paying ANYTHING considering what we get for the money but it is what it is.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyclash34 View Post
Add another vote for this. .. Snip //

it's really hard justifying spending $600 on it. But if we could get that down to say, $299 or $399 without support I'd upgrade my HD license.

Still hard to swallow paying ANYTHING considering what we get for the money but it is what it is.
After year 1 we are down to $399 a year for everything and thats pretty great IMHO of course as before we had to pay $599 every year for upgrades from PTHD. We paid for HD9-HD10 and tye same for HD10-HD11 so after the first years payment we are down $200 to $399 even if we get PT13HD during that period

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-07-2015, 10:39 PM

Nice
. Its 600 first year and... 400 after!..

the topic is
why dont we try for splitting those..like AVID did for PT non HD

i.e. 300 for upgrades only and then 200 after?

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 10-08-2015, 12:48 AM

+1 here, tho I feel like a dummy since I went with the $200 plain 12 upgrade from 11 plain thinking I was doing it for the plug adds, which are half good/half meh. I didn't even see that it would allow me to opt out of the worthless "support" scam. SOOO I'm even more behind the opt out for HD, and that includes my crew and facility who do our own support...this is the real world for users of Avid. One of my colleagues does throw in the fact that Avid is including the "Pro" plugs with the complete as it stands upgrade. Hmmm there is a point there, BUTTT most of use have those bases covered these days. The plugin market is super competitive and the big boys have very mature products that a lot of us have.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 10-08-2015, 03:50 PM

I agree 1k %
We and many on this DUC have been doing our own support for.. years now.

The "free" plugins are great till your support lapses and you have to open an old session.

personally I have enough plugins.
the less the better in someways... too much overlap.

AVID
you have stomped on the goodwill of your biggest supporters, with convoluted roll outs, features that you yacked about at NAMM last year and then ditched..
TRIPLED the upgrades for the HD people from the nonHD
gave the features that made that dif to the Non [ good ]

But we are stuck with your hardware and overcharged for the sw..

looks like we should be leaving the HD world [hardware and SW] is what you seem to be telling us?

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 10-08-2015, 04:36 PM

"But we are stuck with your hardware and overcharged for the sw.."

add-on-It's not compliant anything...but PT's
Old 10-09-2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectifried View Post
Nice
. Its 600 first year and... 400 after!..

the topic is
why dont we try for splitting those..like AVID did for PT non HD

i.e. 300 for upgrades only and then 200 after?
Let's hope for that.
We live in times where community support here on DUC is sufficient for most people.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 10-09-2015, 01:03 AM

I agree with the sentiment regarding having vanilla like options, as I've always generally relied on coming here for the support I've needed, although, I have to say, Avid Customer Care has intervened proactively setting up support cases for me on a few occasions over the last few weeks after posts I've put up here and in the MC and Sib forums relating to upgrade and registration issues.

( Thanks again Jeffro & Toby (PT), Vee (Sib) and Chris (MC). )

I think the suggested HD pricing split should actually be broken down even further.

Not just an option to have an 'upgrade and support plan' or 'upgrade only plan'.

It should also be tiered depending on whether you are an Avid HD hardware owner or not. I, and I guess many others, upgraded to 11HD from Complete Production Toolkit, because we had no choice if we wanted to stay current. Others have bought HD licenses on the 2nd hand market.

For anyone using 3rd party hardware, the extent of support that Avid is able to provide is less than for people with Avid HD hardware based rigs. Avid should recognise that not all HD software owners are equal, in terms of their support needs.

I suggest therefore, that unless you have HD hardware you should at least have the option of choosing vanilla plan pricing. Some people with 3rd party hardware and HD software may still wish to pay for higher a level support plan, because they need the higher priority given and faster response time.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 10-09-2015, 02:03 AM

+++ Absolutely no need for support, I'll take the plugins but really am not excited much about those. $200/yr for "relatively" frequent updates would be doable and fair for my humble CPTK setup.