Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2015, 04:13 PM

Default Re: 12.2 strange Space licensing behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Thanks for your contribution .... glad to see that as an ex TL Space TDM user you went through the same sort of license exchange process as me, you just ended up wih a space license that unlocks TDM as well as AAX and RTAS.

Two queries arise ftom the rest of your commrnts though ...

1) Are you saying that there is a Space 12.1 installer? If so, where did you you get it?

2) If your Space AAX/RTAS/TDM license unlocks ALL versions, but the HD bundle license only unlocks 12.1, why did Jeffo get you to install Space 12.0?

Or is it that the Space AAX/RTAS/TDM license DOES NOT unlock Space 12.1, which may only be available to people with plugin bundles, via Application Manager.

Jeffro, as you've been involved in this already, could you clarify please?

But from the conversation here, it appears there may be separate 12.0 and 12.1 installers, with 12.0 unlocked by individual licenses, and 12.1 unlocked by bundle licenses.
Space 12.1 installer was in my account under "Additional Value Content included with your software."
I use my plugin iLok in other studios. After discussions with Jeffro, he suggested, I use Space 12.0 on other PT12HD machines, that would otherwise not have the "HD Plan", then I would be certain my SPACE/TLSpace license would be valid everywhere.

I keep my PT12HD key on my studio computer, along with the HD Plan, but I travel with a separate iLok for other plugins. Other studios have their own Protools licenses.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Space licensing behavior in 12.2/plugin bundle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
The Plug-ins (Space, Eleven, etc.) were revved to 12.1 for the new plug-in bundles and they use a single license (Pro Tools Plan or Pro Tools HD Plan) which does not authorize older versions of the plug-ins.

If you got the plug-in bundle, you'll have one of the licenses mentioned and will have the needed installers in the Additional Value Content... section of the Pro Tools product in your Avid account.

If you have dedicated licenses (Space, Eleven. etc.) then use them with the plug-in versions provided with those products in your account or from the Downloads section of the product pages.
Jeffro, thanks for the input.

You've answered one of my queries ... there are two versions, so Avid CC UK were misinformed.

But you said nothng about WHY there are two versions.

I hope this 12.1 version 'revved for the new plugin bundles' ('given' away for free so long as you keep buying a plan) doesn't mean that 12.0 is the end of the line for people who actually PAID for a Space license.

Can you clarify please ...
1) What changes were made in 12.1 ... bug fixes? functionality improvements?
2) Will there be a 12.1 for people with an individual paid for Space license?
3) Are there compatibility issues between the two versions?
4) To expand on question 3 ..l If someone has an individual paid for license, and passes the session over to someone with the plugin bundle license, will Space load seamlessly, and will it also load seamlessly when the session is transferred back?

Thes are crucial questions of direct practical impact. I hope you can come back with answers J.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 10-06-2015, 06:49 AM

Nigel,

There is no difference between Space 12.0 and Space 12.1, except for the licensing schema.
No functionallity changes.
I just tested a session, and was fully compatible.

The "HD Plan" licenses both. Which makes sense, if you let your subscription run out, then a "real" Space license will keep you running.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Nigel,

There is no difference between Space 12.0 and Space 12.1, except for the licensing schema.
No functionallity changes.
I just tested a session, and was fully compatible.

The "HD Plan" licenses both. Which makes sense, if you let your subscription run out, then a "real" Space license will keep you running.
That's good news, thanks for testing.

The thing I'm struggling with is .... why create two different revisions at all? I mean, if you are given a bundle license to use Space in PT12, is it really a big deal that the license would also let you use it in 11, 10, 9 etc.

Most people are not going to be using those older versions anyway, and if they have a Pro Tools license bundle that lets them use PT10/11/12, and they have a need to use the older versions, then wouldn't it actually be helpful for the plugin license to allow an older version of the plugin, suitable for the older version of Pro Tools, to run.

Do Avid actually think that people will go out and buy the individual plugin license to get access to the older version?

And what about the 'cost' of maintaining different versions for different licenses.

That's what has me worried, we could end up with Space as an individual plugin becoming EOL, with only the bundle version maintained into the future.

If that is not the game plan, I struggle to see what benefit Avid is getting from this split development and licensing regime.

Finally, I wonder, are we in the same situation for the other plugins included in the bundle ... i.e. that specially revved versions are made that only work with a bundle license, which won't unlock the equivalent individual plugin.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)

Last edited by nigelpry; 10-12-2015 at 03:00 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-12-2017, 07:38 AM

My grievances with Space started this december when my subscriptions were up for renewal and i skipped the support-subscription.
Space did not want to authorize.
I downloaded the 12.0 installer from http://www.avid.com/plugins/space#Download and installed that.
- Didn't work, it still wasn't authorizing.
I went into installed programs and noticed that 2 versions were installed (kind of sloppy of Avid not to check things like that).
I uninstalled both versions, and reinstalled 12.0, now it authorizes just fine.