Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 08-27-2009, 01:02 PM

Default different channels, same track? PT8

Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to manipulate different MIDI channels on the same Instrument Track. I couldn't find anything in the manual. I'm using EWQLSO XP Gold as my library and it works great. However, with my computer, I can only have four inserts (at least one per track) and I would like to work with more instruments at once. At the rate I'm going, I can only edit four instruments (aka, sounds) at a time and I'm trying to write for the whole orchestra.

I put the library on as an insert on that track. In the same instance of the insert, I can assign different instruments on eight different MIDI channels for that track. I can do this four times with eight channels per insert. Increasing my load from four sounds to thirty-two would be awesome!

I read that some sequencers can change each individual note's channels in the same track. Does PT8 do this? Is there another way I could achieve similar results?

Please and Thank you!
hewhocomes
Old 08-27-2009, 01:16 PM

Default Re: different channels, same track? PT8

No, not really.

In Pro Tools, you would need to use separate MIDI tracks per MIDI channel. The input channels of any MIDI instrument that is inserted on any track are available as output assignments to any MIDI/Instrument track.

For instance:
  • In a Pro Tools session, one stereo instrument track with your instrument inserted.
  • On the insert, different instruments on eight different MIDI channels.
  • Assign the MIDI output of the Instrument track to the first MIDI channel of the instrument you have inserted.
  • Create 7 MIDI tracks in Pro Tools, and assign the MIDI output to the other 7 remaining MIDI channels from your insert.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-28-2009, 04:21 PM

Default Re: different channels, same track? PT8

Thank you very much for your quick response! It did the trick and am eternally grateful.

Thank you!
hewhocomes