Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2013, 12:32 AM

Default If Pro Tools 11 comes out next week...

... Would you upgrade?

With all of this wild speculation abound, I felt like this is probably the most important question we can ask. We can banter about stock prices and hardware sales, but ultimately we can only do our part by either buying or not buying the upgrade.

So, let's be honest about 2 things:

1) If Pro Tools 11 is decidedly AAX only, are enough of your plugins now in AAX for you to comfortably make the transition?

2) Is whether or not it is 64 bit the ultimate deciding factor?

Discuss.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 04-05-2013, 12:51 AM

Default Re: If Pro Tools 11 comes out next week...

So That's it ... even Russ is talking about Pro Tools 11 release and it's been a while that he is preparing articles related to this ....
I am an upgrade fan actually ... and I would definitely upgrade I believe Pro Tools stock plugins are improving dramatically ... the Channel Strip is already one of the best out there ... Definitely a YES
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 AM

64 bit would be nice, I'd struggle with the current plug-ins available but the deciding factor for me is that as a TDM owner, I CAN'T upgrade.

Avid could have sold MANY thousands of expensive PT11 upgrades to TDM users but instead they have decided to shut us off in the hope we buy HDX systems, (which we're not.)

I've yet to hear any compelling reason as to why it is not technically possible to support TDM in a fully 64 bit world. None. It already is working in Logic, a 64 bit app running on a 64 bit OS booting up on a 64 bit Mac. Then there's the guy I know who has been programming for TDM from the start who tells me he can't see ANY technical reason why TDM can't be supported by a 64 bit PT.... Then there are ALL the other companies that HAVE made the transition to 64 bit with their hardware including UAD and it's DSP card. Why not Avid? TDM users aren't buying HDX so why not sell them expensive PT11 upgrades instead?
Old 04-05-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
64 bit would be nice, I'd struggle with the current plug-ins available but the deciding factor for me is that as a TDM owner, I CAN'T upgrade.
Well let's not go into the discussion of 64bit TDM because that is not happening. Apple also decided there will never be 64bit Carbon, to "encourage" software companies to move on to the new technology. While I would certainly love to keep using the TDM cards that work very well, I do understand that it is now time to let go of the past.

Myself, I think I will just upgrade the license anyway, whether I can use it or not. It gives me warm fuzzy feeling of being able to support the PT platform, and it also gives me a possibility to test non-HD PT11 on my less capable computers.

But who knows, PT11 may be announced or it may not. We will have to wait and see
Old 04-05-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Well let's not go into the discussion of 64bit TDM because that is not happening. Apple also decided there will never be 64bit Carbon, to "encourage" software companies to move on to the new technology. While I would certainly love to keep using the TDM cards that work very well, I do understand that it is now time to let go of the past.

Myself, I think I will just upgrade the license anyway, whether I can use it or not. It gives me warm fuzzy feeling of being able to support the PT platform, and it also gives me a possibility to test non-HD PT11 on my less capable computers.

But who knows, PT11 may be announced or it may not. We will have to wait and see
Firstly, thanks for not jumping down my throat because I've made a contentious post :) Yes I know a 64 bit TDM version isn't going to happen, I'm just saying it should have and could have.

Interestingly, because HDX holds little appeal for me at present, I may end up buying a full version of PT11... I'm going OT a little here but bear with me and I'm going to sound like a salesperson for Waves. (I'm not, I'm just looking for solutions.)

So... I run my current HD3 rig/C24 on one Mac. The HD3 rig is connected to a Waves SoundGrid server via ethernet and a SoundGrid PT interface. I also connect another Mac running PT11 natively to the same SoundGrid server and pipe audio between the two Macs. The second Mac will also be my virtual instrument "server" . Best of both worlds? I'm already running a second PC hosting VE Pro, why not go the whole hog and sequence on that PC too and mix on the HD3 rig? Bear in mind there is also talk of SoundGrid hosting virtual instruments in future. It could be a neat solution at least for me.

I would rather the whole shebang come from Avid but unfortunately Avid isn't making that possible for me.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
... Would you upgrade?

With all of this wild speculation abound, I felt like this is probably the most important question we can ask. We can banter about stock prices and hardware sales, but ultimately we can only do our part by either buying or not buying the upgrade.

So, let's be honest about 2 things:

1) If Pro Tools 11 is decidedly AAX only, are enough of your plugins now in AAX for you to comfortably make the transition?

Discuss.
Personally as a User stand point.

1- Yes and no. Yes most of my plugs are, no one of the VI company I use the most seems to be not ready, but then again I can always use work around.

2- Again Yes and no. I could run sessions quite easily with pro tools 10 that would have been impossible with prior versions, but then again if there was too many VI's I had to use work around. So would 64 bit be a deciding factor? Only if I'm getting tired of using work around. In a nutshell kindof because it's more time wasting setting things up ( even though I can use templates its never exactly the same) than if I could just do it straight in Pro tools, and time is money for my costumers.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-05-2013, 01:59 AM

I don't believe there is any doubt PT 11 will be 64Bit.

I skipped upgrading to 10 in anticipation that 11 would be 64Bit, and I need a new interface so the timing is perfect for me.

I'm trying to twist my accountants arm so I can go HD/X, but I'd settle for Native.

As for plugs, I'll have to start again and that will take time but I can live with that. I'm hoping a bundle will come with 11 to get me started but I'm prepared to roam naked if need be

So now I'm keeping the magnetic strip on my credit card polished at the ready to pull the trigger.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O

Last edited by zedhed; 04-05-2013 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:26 AM

I will upgrade. I am building a new workstation and only need a few more parts for it (CPU and SSD to get it running). 64bits is really needed for me. Otherwise if not PT11 I say it will be a new interface.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 04-05-2013, 02:42 AM

True ... the choice is narrowed:

1: Pro Tools 11
2: Interface

Though I doubt a new interface ... the new thunderbolt HD interface they released not longtime ago didn't require sending us groundbreaking email ....

Cheers
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 04-05-2013, 03:26 AM

Quote:
... Would you upgrade?

Yes.

Quote:
No. Since Avid told us long ago it will be 64-bit, it's the other things in tandem that come along with 64-bit that I'm curious they'll add. There's definitively some misunderstanding on the 64-bit subject. 64-bit brings a whole slew of potential new features that Avid could develop and introduce in PT. That's what I'm looking forward to the most.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit