Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2014, 11:35 AM

Default Finally saved up enough - RME Fireface UCX

This is going to be a substantial upgrade... But I'm still not 100% positive this is the model I want. On paper (and in demoing the unit) everything is great.
  • Anyone else use these with PT 11 and Windows?
  • If anyone has purchased the rack ears, can you comment on the build quality? I have a 1U universal shelf that this thing can be secured to, but these just look so nice.
  • Any last minute considerations regarding Totalmix? How is the loopback function?
Old 01-24-2014, 04:34 AM

Default Re: Finally saved up enough - RME Fireface UCX

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these myself.

Been agonising over a Liquid Saffire 56, UAD Apollo & the UFX.

Discounted the Saffire due to Focusrites track record of dropping support for older gear, had to forego the Apollo due to UAD's reluctance to support Windows in general and settled on the UFX because of RME's history of driver support & the TotalMix routing plus the reported better latency over the Apollo.

I'd love the liquid channels or the UAD plugs but I can always add a UAD card if necc. and I'd rather have the peace of mind of decent Windows support moving forward than always worrying when the next crash is going to occur.

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 02-14-2014, 06:15 AM

I just purchased an RME Fireface UFX a few weeks ago. So far I am very impressed with this unit! I don't regret at all spending the bucks for it. It looks a like great unit to build a really nice studio around. I'm trying to upgrade my home studio from the typical entry-level equipment to more professional gear. This unit has made a big difference so far in the quality of my recordings.

I was told (as a Windows user) to stay away from the Apollo for now. They still need some more time to get their Windows interface working reliably.
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz
Memory: 32GB
Internal Hard Drives:
500GB= Programs
1TBGB= Audio
1tbGB= Samples/Back Up
External Hard Drives: Verbatim 1TB USB Drive
RME Fireface UFX Interface/Preamps
Pro Tools 2023
Focal CMS 65 Monitors
Avantones
Old 02-14-2014, 10:15 AM

Fuzzy, glad to hear it. I considered the Apollo, but ultimately decided against it for a few reasons..

I'm not a fan of combo units. In the Apollo's case, it's a UAD DSP chip combined with an audio interface. If one thing needs a repair, you have to send both. Also, while UA plugins are very nice, I think the prices are way too high considering the high "entry fee" you pay for the DSP card.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Fuzzy, glad to hear it. I considered the Apollo, but ultimately decided against it for a few reasons..

I'm not a fan of combo units. In the Apollo's case, it's a UAD DSP chip combined with an audio interface. If one thing needs a repair, you have to send both. Also, while UA plugins are very nice, I think the prices are way too high considering the high "entry fee" you pay for the DSP card.
Hey Matt

The UCX is a great piece of gear. Our neighbouring studio down the street here have two of them with those EXACT rack ears from Alva and they look and feel SWEET! Makes the UCX look very professional and expensive and it sounds great! Just have a listen to THIS in a Good monitor setup and you will hear them in one of the biggest songs of the year here in Europe and coming to the US soon

If we hadn't already bought the UA Apollo and Apollo 16 we would go for two of the UCX interfaces for our pre production room with those sweet rack ears.

Best of Luck
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-14-2014, 10:43 AM

Chris, I am definitely happy with my purchase. It is as nice as I could afford, and definitely one of the nicest smaller-format interfaces out there.

I'm loving the software mixer, and the Digi Check software is a godsend. Already have tested the "total recorder" tool, and it works perfectly with screen capture in Pro Tools... Making voiceover for tutorial videos a lot easier to record and edit.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:39 PM

Are you guys using the ucx with firewire or usb? I am getting cpu spikes/crashes using 128 latency and one instance of transfuser loaded up with about 15 instruments with rex loops on osx 10.8.5 using usb. Latest rme drivers are installed, still having same issues.
*Avid S3, Avid Dock, RME UCX, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools HD 2018, Waves Diamond/SSL, AIEP2, Komplete Ultimate 9, Ableton 10 Suite, Logic Pro X 10.4, Reason 9, Ilok 2, Maschine Studio, MPC Live, Toraiz SP16, Push 2, MPD 232, MPK249. DJ setup Urei 1620, ARS 3500 xover, Rane MP2015 2X Denon SC 5000, RMX 1000
Old 04-14-2014, 04:58 PM

I use firewire. No problems, although it doesn't seem to handle too much more processing than my MBOX did at low buffer sizes. According to benchmarks I've seen, USB should perform as well as Firewire with this unit.

Have you eliminated Transfuser itself as the culprit?