Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-04-2010, 12:55 PM

Default Problem(s?) running PT with New Macbook Pro i5 15" on Windows side (xp sp3)

any ideas appreciated!

This issue is driving me nuts. I just picked up the new i5 macbook pro 15", 2.4 ghz model (upgraded to the matte screen if that matters at all). I am trying to get protools working on the windows side because of various other programs and plug-ins.

After installing PT le 8.0, upon turning on the windows side, the first problem that occurred is a -1115 error. I retry starting pt again, it loads, but when you press play, a pop up comes up and says h/w buffer size blah blah. i've tried adjusting this in pt, but it didnt do anything. i updated to 8.01, but then the issue is "problem detected with audio clock"

i have tried every possible solution i could find. i actually hardly use protools. i'm on ableton most of the time, but i do use the mbox 2 and think i need to get pt running properly first to resolve my other issue. When i do run ableton, everything works until i go in and choose the asio driver. then things freeze, crash, or sound comes out but its stuttery, and no lag adjustment helps.

things i have tried:
-reformatting multiple times
-reinstalling protools multiple times on cleared drives
-i originally was using sp2, then upgraded to sp3, no difference
-disabled bluetooth
-tried removing nvidia drivers
-tried disabling other cores via this method (i know i dont have hyperthreading like the 13 in models, but i really ran out of options so i tried it): http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=246257
-tried the multiple processors update: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=896256
-tried 8.01 and 8.03
-uninstalled internet explorer 8
-tried both usbs
-deleted the pt preferences folders

nada.

is the problem the drivers that come with bootcamp 3.1? i read somewhere about the nvidia drivers presenting a problem, but that didnt do anything for me so far as i can tell. or is it snow leopard (though im running on xp?)?

I had a macbook pro from april 2008. It ran ableton without a hitch. (i dont think i did much other than install the basic driver from the pt disk on the xp side). I used PT on the mac side on that laptop and it worked fine (it had leopard). I tried installing protools on the mac side of my current laptop, and the first thing that popped up was some note about buffer size being changed by some other thing? is it the turbo boost?

i just got this computer so i cant possibly be the only one? any ideas are welcome. thanks.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Problem(s?) running PT with New Macbook Pro i5 15" on Windows side (xp sp3)

Maybe you should try to ask this on the win side of the forum.

Have you checked the system with the latency checker?

By the way I have some errors on the win side with an older macbook pro, and can't figure it out what causing it. It can be many things really.

Also, your session needs to be on an external drive, but with the newest macbook pro's (except the biggest model) you don't have any express card slot, and sharing the only one firewire bus in a machine is a bad idea under win.

If you use usb digicard, than you should experiment, as not all usb ports are the same on these machines.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Problem(s?) running PT with New Macbook Pro i5 15" on Windows side (xp sp3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
Maybe you should try to ask this on the win side of the forum.

Have you checked the system with the latency checker?

By the way I have some errors on the win side with an older macbook pro, and can't figure it out what causing it. It can be many things really.

Also, your session needs to be on an external drive, but with the newest macbook pro's (except the biggest model) you don't have any express card slot, and sharing the only one firewire bus in a machine is a bad idea under win.

If you use usb digicard, than you should experiment, as not all usb ports are the same on these machines.

ha they suggested i check over here. I had protools working fine with my previous macbook from spring 2008 which was a 2.4 ghz model as well. from what i can tell, pretty much similar to what i have now except the i5 processor. i didnt need to record to external on that one, and i used usb on that one to connect to mbox without a prob. yeah i messed with latency, not that. tried the external drive, didnt make a difference.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:37 PM

Am considering buying an i5 based MB Pro this week. I can't find if this model is officially supported by Digi/Avid for PTLE use?

If anyone here has an i5 imac or MB Pro I would be really interested to hear from them.
I think all new models ship with Snow Leopard installed so I would have to upgrade to PTLE 8.03.

I am currently stuck on the final cs of 7.4.2 on tiger on my powerbook and G5.

I like how solid 7.4 is but its high time I moved up a gear I think.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:09 PM

I had the same troubles with an actual i5 Optiplex 980 trying PTLE 8.0.1 - 8.0.3. The USB chip set is incompatible with the MBox2 USB stuff (I was using an MBox 2 Micro and Mini - smae problem - error -1115). What solved the 1115 error was using a PCIe USB carb instead of the on board USB drivers. That's not an option on a MBPro -- oh -- unless you use the PCIExpress slot. That should solve the 1115 error. But I'm still stuck with the Clocking error message and the HWBuffers too full and only a chirp of audio before things stop with an error code -6086 -- buffers full.. blah blah..

Digi has a lot of testing to do with these i5's before they're going to be stable. They ARE NOT stable now.. Oddly PT LE 8.0.3 works perfectly well on my old Dell Latitude D810 laptop "dinosaur". That proves it's the newer chipsets and all that rot.. Digi will work it out. THey always do - -for us.. But it will be a couple of CS updates down the pike. I hope they're reading..

It's been a frustrating couple of days dealing with this same issue.