Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2012, 09:50 AM

Default Solution to "Track could not be record-enabled" issue with PT10 and Eleven Rack

I've installed PT10 on my Macbook Pro OS X 10.6.8 and hooked the Eleven Rack up through USB. I ran into this issue and had a heck of a time figuring it out. I thought I'd go ahead and post this and hopefully help out someone else that runs into the same problem!

After a bit of messing around, I managed to get a snippet of guitar recorded through my new Eleven Rack and into PT10. Great! I played it back. Sounded fabulous! Then I tried to record-enable the track to try some of the other amp settings. Not so great.

Whenever I try to arm the track, I get this message:

Quote:
The track could not be record-enabled because it doesn't have both an active input and output assigned.
I looked through Google results and quite a few posts on these forums and none of the answers seem to apply or at least don't work. The most common suggestion is to go to the Setup->I/O... menu and click the Default button on Input, Output, and whatever else you can. I try to do that. For Input, nothing is enabled, i.e. I can't click Default because the button is ghosted out, as are New Path, New Sub-Path, and Delete Path. On Output, I click Default and nothing changes.

I then go and try to arm the track and the same thing: can't do it.

What I noticed is that, when I select the input for the track, it's darkened. So I select Eleven Rig L/R for the input and it's basically saying it's not valid. Hmmm...

The crux of the issue is that I had switched to the Built-In Output to listen back to my guitar tracks to see how mixing and production worked when I wasn't running through the Eleven Rack. It turns out you have to have the Eleven Rack as the output in order for it work as an active input!

So the solution is as follows:
  1. Go to Setup->Playback Engine...
  2. At the top, select Digidesign Eleven Rack (if you're using another piece of hardware, e.g. Digi 002R, you'd select that, of course)
  3. Click OK.
  4. Go to the track you want to arm.
  5. Whatever you had selected as the input, e.g. Eleven Rig L/R, will still be disabled, so select another input.
  6. Now select the input you want, which should appear as enabled now.

This took me quite a while to figure out. It'd be nice if there was a warning for this sort of issue, i.e. selecting an invalid input gets a pop-up saying you can't use that because you have the incorrect output selected. But at least I do have it working now!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Solution to "Track could not be record-enabled" issue with PT10 and Eleven Rack

Thank you so much! I am still new to Pro Tools and quickly ran into this problem with my I/O device. This worked perfectly and eliminated some serious frustration for me. The whole time thinking "input" and really it's output. FML. Anyway, working great now, thanks again!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Solution to "Track could not be record-enabled" issue with PT10 and Eleven Rack

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Very quick solution to a very frustrating problem! You are my savior
Old 12-05-2012, 04:56 PM

Dude... Worked out flawlessly... Thanks!!!... Saved me about 5 or more hours of going crazy trying to figure out my set up and what I was missing... so simple and right in front of my nose... Much appreciated for your thoughtfulness and time to post and for saving me from a huge pain in the *ss.... Rock on...

Peace Out!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:33 AM

THANKS!

Got me back on track!

Why it jumped to the other device on april 1st,is unknown.

Ty Ford
Old 07-05-2013, 12:59 PM

THANK YOU!! I've had trouble with this for YEARS and you gave me a fix!!!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:07 AM

dude, im happy i googled this i thought i had an issue, i had to re install my pt 10 an everything stopped working.. thanks man happy camper
Old 02-05-2015, 03:57 PM

God Bless You
Old 04-20-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankyq View Post
So the solution is as follows:
  1. Go to Setup->Playback Engine...
  2. At the top, select Digidesign Eleven Rack (if you're using another piece of hardware, e.g. Digi 002R, you'd select that, of course)
  3. Click OK.
  4. Go to the track you want to arm.
  5. Whatever you had selected as the input, e.g. Eleven Rig L/R, will still be disabled, so select another input.
  6. Now select the input you want, which should appear as enabled now.
When I go to Setup -> Playback Engine, my ASIO TonePort shows up but theres no option to change it to anything.