Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 07-06-2018, 02:30 PM

Default Thorn CM - Fantastic Freebie

Well, I picked up the July 2018 Issue of Computer Music Magazine today. CM always comes with a DVD that contains several samples, some free VI's and plugins and what not. This month the featured free VI is the Dmitry Sches Thorn CM edition. It is a slightly scaled down version of the full Dmitry Sches Thorn. This is one fantastic sounding VI with tons of flexibility. It works much like a wavetable synth, such as Dune 2 or Serum. Easily programmable, nice flexible arpeggiator and many other useful features. For the price of the magazine, you can't go wrong. As a bonus, if you want to full version, you can get a 30% discount (regularly $119) using a special code from CM magazine.

Sound-wise, it rivals Synapse Audio's Dune 2 in quality. It comes in VST 2&3 and AAX, 32 and 64 bit. Well worth checking out, in my opinion. This one will find many uses in my future projects.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Thorn CM - Fantastic Freebie

I subscribed to CM for a year, but I never used the enclosed disks. Since I rely on my computer for using Pro Tools, and also for a lot of editing as a professional photographer, I am very cautious about what I load into computer. Did you ever encounter any untoward issues with the programs or applications that you used from the disks?

MSI X99A SLI Plus LGA2011, i7 5930 3.5 GHZ 6 core 12 threads, Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4 2400MHZ, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, LG 16x Blu-ray writer, Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD for OS, Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 1 TB SSD for samples, four WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 6Gb/s 7,200 RPM drives (audio, samples, video x 2), EVGA Supernova 750W G2 PSU, Corsair Cooling Hydro H100I V2, W 10 Pro, 4 TB WD USB3 external backup, PT 2020.5, IK Sampletank 4 Max, AIR IEP, Wavelab Pro 10, RME Fireface UFX w USB2 connection.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:16 AM

Default Re: Thorn CM - Fantastic Freebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh1 View Post
I subscribed to CM for a year, but I never used the enclosed disks. Since I rely on my computer for using Pro Tools, and also for a lot of editing as a professional photographer, I am very cautious about what I load into computer. Did you ever encounter any untoward issues with the programs or applications that you used from the disks?

Not once! As long as you install correctly, everything should be fine. Besides some of the freebie plugins....many of which really are useful and good....I've also used several of their drum and multi-samples for different sounds. I like to design my own sounds and often use Structure for that. I've found the CM samples work well there, and with some layering and tweaking, I've gotten some really decent sounds that way.

Of course, most of my virtual gear is of the paid for variety (Waves, AIR, Reason, Omnisphere, etc), but sometimes you do find a nice little gem in the freebies, like Thorn CM.