Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Aspera DigiDelivery

Old 07-21-2011, 12:43 PM

Default Warning: DD client is not supported on OS X 10.7 Lion

DigiDelivery Customers,

Chris Markle here from Aspera. As I hope most of you know by now, Aspera has announced that we will no longer support the DigiDelivery product after December 2011.

Yesterday, Apple released OS X 10.7 Lion. This version of OS X no longer includes the OS X "Rosetta" technology that allowed PPC (Power PC) apps to run on Intel-based Macs (and Lion only runs on Intel-based Macs). It was this Rosetta technology that allowed legacy apps like the DigiDelivery client (itself a PPC app) to run on Intel-based machines. Since Rosetta is not even available as an option for Lion users (it was still an option on OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard), the DD client will NOT run on Lion systems. If you need to continue to use the DD client, you will have to have at least one 10.6 Snow Leopard or earlier system to do that.

Aspera has no plans to make the DD client a formally supported product on Intel-based Macs. Some time ago an alpha version of the DD client for Intel-based Macs was tested but it was not determined to be a viable replacement candidate for the Mac DD client and it was not released.

Aspera does have a successor product to the DigiDelivery system called Faspex (http://asperasoft.com/en/products/se...aspex_server_6). The user interface to Faspex is a web browser-based plug-in that is supported on 10.7 Lion, and will be supported as the OS X platform evolves. We strongly recommend that DigiDelivery customers transition to this newer, faster, more secure, and fully-supported software offering.

Again, if you intend to transition to OX X 10.7 Lion _and_ continue to use the DD client, you will need to keep at least one system at 10.6 or earlier to run the client on.

Chris
--
Chris Markle
Aspera, Inc.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Warning: DD client is not supported on OS X 10.7 Lion

Chris,

Thanks for the high hard one.

DD users everywhere.

"...good hands", what bull

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 PM

"Not a viable replacement"?

I was a beta-tester and the last beta (b458) has been running flawlessly on my machine for years. I use it daily. Unlike the official client some features actually work (prioritize the up-load cue for example. never worked with the official client).
I was in contact with the programmer and we sorted out lots of bugs till the last version (which is at least an equivalent to the official client and has less bugs as far as I'm concerned) but then the project was set to sleep (without any notice, 2 years ago after quite some work was invested).

I wonder what exactly wasn't viable about the beta? Not viable on Lion? I haven't tested it on Lion yet.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:13 AM

If anyone with the intel beta can contact me at [email protected] i would like to ask some questions. Thanks
Old 08-07-2011, 10:37 PM

Switched to using Windows 7 in a vmware virtual machine for Digidelivery downloading. Fast and stable and with a 12 month antivirus subscription built in to vmware don't have to worry about those pesky viruses either.

Only thing I haven't managed to figure out yet is how to tell Lion Mail to use Windows Digidelivery to open a dgd link, but copy and paste works pretty well for that.

So until Aspera decide to prematurely kill a viable product outright this is working for me.
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 08-09-2011, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C View Post
Switched to using Windows 7 in a vmware virtual machine for Digidelivery downloading. Fast and stable and with a 12 month antivirus subscription built in to vmware don't have to worry about those pesky viruses either.

Only thing I haven't managed to figure out yet is how to tell Lion Mail to use Windows Digidelivery to open a dgd link, but copy and paste works pretty well for that.

So until Aspera decide to prematurely kill a viable product outright this is working for me.
The least concern is actually my own site. It´s the fact that there´s no universal binary client version offered on the aspera website so my clients won´t be able to download anything from me if they are on Lion.
I doubt that asking clients to install windows 7 to download data is going work in practise.
I use the DD server to transfer data almost daily to various clients all over the place. From ADR studios, mixing facilities to producers. Asking all those people to go and buy and install windows 7 to download a maybe one-time-delivery does not really compute.

Frank.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:39 PM

I was wondering if anyone has a working copy of the beta Intel client for DigiDelivery that they'd be willing to share. We have new hardware that's forcing us to Lion, and having the beta client would buy me time to sort out my options. Digi is critical to our workflows, so I have users saying they can't use a new machine without it...

I can be reached at [email protected]. Thank you!

Tim King
Towers IT Administrator
Old 11-07-2011, 06:17 PM

Hi guys,

I just saw this post along with another that C (ceri) posted in. I'm Andrew the community manager at Gobbler. Due to high demand for extra space, we will be going live with a super discounted "extra space" package soon. If you're interested in learning more, sign up at the following link & we'll send you some more info once we have that together.

http://mediagobbler.us1.list-manage1...&id=75bf150157

Everyone has been really awesome with providing feedback (both positive and negative) which helps make Gobbler even better! We have lots of big things in the works so feel free to hit me up in our community at community.gobbler.com!

Thanks guys

Andrew
Old 12-22-2011, 11:48 AM

Just came across this (whilst looking for something else on the unfathomable Avid website):
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...3=1450&Hilite=

Or is this old?

Pete
Old 01-25-2012, 05:58 AM

IMHO, Digidelivery was a good product that AVID foolishly sold to someone else to do further development on.
Well, Aspera essentially killed it. I was offered a great trade in offer of $8,800.00 for Aspera's software solution.
Well, that might fly (and has) for Mega Companies like Disney, Sony and others, but it leaves us small to mid size companies with a $4K whole in our pocket.
Since most of my projects are small I've turned to You Send It.
Granted the file limitations are smaller and security is not as good, but I can buy decades of YSI subscriptions for $8800.00.
What a waste. No return on investment whatsoever.

AVID, why do you do me like this?

HDX 10.1 (2 Cards)
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.4Ghz Westmere 26 gig Ram
Icon D-Control, Two 192HD 16x16 analog and 8x8x8 Avid Mojo, Sync HDI/O