Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2004, 01:57 AM

Default Midi editing and samplers

So, I just have a couple of questions for any Pro Tools LE enthusiasts out there. First off, what do you guys use for samplers (on a Mac)? Halion? Kontakt?

Right now I use Sonar on a PC (I use VSampler). However, I'm considering investing in a pro tools system on a mac notebook--namely, the Digi 002 rack. The thing is, I still do not know all the details of Pro Tools LE, and I'd like to before buying.

For one, can Pro Tools LE support VST (and VSTi) plugins? I remember reading that Pro Tools can, but can Pro Tools LE?

Another question I have is about MIDI editing. So, from the looks of things it seems that Pro Tools only has a "piano roll" view for MIDI notes. Is there no staff/notation view? I see this as quite a problem, since if you want to look at what you just played on the keyboard, the piano roll doesn't exactly convey the "musical idea". Admittedly, this drawback has delayed me from getting pro tools. Any insight? Is there perhaps a solution like a plugin for pro tools or something?

I would really appreciate any advice, in what maybe a new stage of my recording life! Thanks for any info.

--Stedman
Old 08-08-2004, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Midi editing and samplers

Hi
Quote:
Right now I use Sonar on a PC (I use VSampler). However, I'm considering investing in a pro tools system on a mac notebook--namely, the Digi 002 rack. The thing is, I still do not know all the details of Pro Tools LE, and I'd like to before buying.
That totally depends on your needs. If there is a DEMO TRY IT. Kontakt is perfect if it works on your system and you don´t ever need tech support.
The most stable Samplers for PT seem to be Reason and Mach5 at the moment. Sampletank 2 is more a Sampleplayer than a Sampler. not worth the money IMO.
There´s a Free version from IKM to try, however.
Just take into consideration that RTAS sampler are just and ONLY stereo!!!.
If you want more outputs you need more instances of the plug or a ReWire capable Ssampler.

Personally I use NI Battery and Bidule from www.plogue.com. feeds all my sampler needs.

Quote:
For one, can Pro Tools LE support VST (and VSTi) plugins? I remember reading that Pro Tools can, but can Pro Tools LE?

Right and Wrong. PT TDM/LE does NOT support VSTs natively BUT ther is a VST to RTAS wrapper
from www.fxpansion.com for $99 to take care of the problem.

Quote:
Another question I have is about MIDI editing. So, from the looks of things it seems that Pro Tools only has a "piano roll" view for MIDI notes. Is there no staff/notation view? I see this as quite a problem, since if you want to look at what you just played on the keyboard, the piano roll doesn't exactly convey the "musical idea". Admittedly, this drawback has delayed me from getting pro tools. Any insight? Is there perhaps a solution like a plugin for pro tools or something?
PT only has the the "dot´s and dashes" display. no notation. The pro and cons have been discussed here extensively and digidesign isn´t out to change that in the foreseeable future.

BEsides please always keep in mind: PT is Post/Production tool not a creativity tool like
Logic cubase and ableton etc.

so far,

regs
Old 08-08-2004, 01:33 PM

Thanks so much for the info. If you don't mind, there is one other thing I'm wondering about. I've always loved gigastudio samples, and I'm hoping, if I do end up going for the mac and Pro Tools, that I can play giga sounds. Do you know what people do to use giga with Pro Tools on the mac (since Gigastudio is only for Win)? I guess if I were using Cubase I'd run Halion, despite the bad things I've heard about it. It seems that Reason with rewire would be a good option, although I don't think it can import .GIG. What is your take on this? Thanks again.

--Stedman
Old 08-09-2004, 02:11 AM

Quote:
It seems that Reason with rewire would be a good option, although I don't think it can import .GIG. What is your take on this? Thanks again.

thats the problem with reason: youre pretty stuck with it.
TRY THE DEMO!!!!! and read on the propellerhead.se website.

Don´t know about Gigastudio. and check out Bidule for Mac and PC, with it you can rewire ANY VST/AU into Protools! Runs perfect!

regs