Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2009, 08:18 AM

Default extremely retarded question from a pro tools noob

ok guys, i need a very very retarded question answered with info if possible. its a dumb question because i know the answer will be yes but need confirmation.

i am buying pro tools today.

here's the retarded question:

instead of recording a guitar track all the way through with no mess ups,cant i just record riff by riff, then put them together? in other words, in the old days when i recorded guitar tracks with my tascam 424 portastudio (mid 90's), i would have to play each track on guitar all the way through until i felt it came out perfect.

cant i just record each riff seperate then just put them together?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:30 AM

Default Re: extremely retarded question from a pro tools noob

Yes you can(and in a few ways). The most important thing to remember is you will want to work a low buffer like 64 or 128(unless you get an 002, 003 or Mbox Pro as the firewire interfaces add a feature called Low Latency Monitoring). You can use quickpunch with a foot switch (momentary, N.O.) to punch in and out. Or, create a playlist using loop record and just keep playing the song or any part of the song over and over. You could record on each of several tracks. My vote is the quickpunch method but find what works best for you. With quickpunch, just start recording your guitar track and when you hit a clam, back up a little and punch in before the clam and continue (till you hit the next clam). I do this a lot when recording bass tracks as I am usually learning the song while recording the track. BTW, low latency mode allows you to set the buffer to any setting but record with near-zero latency. The trade off is; your record-enabled track can't use plugins or aux sends while it is record-enabled(plugins and aux sends will be disabled automatically).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-30-2009, 09:45 AM

thanks for the info man. considering i have no idea what you mean when you talk about latency and 64 and 128. that just shows i have LOTS of learning to do.

this software is amazing huh.

im getting it tonight. but whats really got me excited is that i dont have to write a full song, i can just write all my riffs and then throw them together witch will form a song. how about the line 6 pod x3 live? that works with pro tools right?

are there any good books i can buy whil im at guitar center buying pro tools today? man i have so much work to do.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:09 PM

whats a quick punch?
Old 01-30-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookiebrain View Post
whats a quick punch?
Seriously..........read the manual before you even attempt to use Pro Tools.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:14 AM

Bookmark this link: http://ptnewbie.com/?page_id=86

This should help you get started.