Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2017, 08:49 AM

Default Upgrade Plan expired

So, I purchased the "Pro Tools 12 for Education Upgrade with Annual Upgrade Plan" for $99 on 11/29/15 (I'm a professor). My understanding was that it was an "annual upgrade plan." My billing info is a part of my account. I just now launched PT after having been out of town and Application Manager (Mac) says I can't upgrade because my Standard Support and Upgrade plan expired on 11/28/16. When you sign up for this plan does it not automatically renew every year, or what? I've dug around the store, and it looks like Avid is trying to sell me a "reinstatement" for $299!!!! Maybe I'm misunderstanding something?
Old 01-15-2017, 09:24 AM
Avid

Default Re: Upgrade Plan expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
So, I purchased the "Pro Tools 12 for Education Upgrade with Annual Upgrade Plan" for $99 on 11/29/15 (I'm a professor). My understanding was that it was an "annual upgrade plan." My billing info is a part of my account. I just now launched PT after having been out of town and Application Manager (Mac) says I can't upgrade because my Standard Support and Upgrade plan expired on 11/28/16. When you sign up for this plan does it not automatically renew every year, or what? I've dug around the store, and it looks like Avid is trying to sell me a "reinstatement" for $299!!!! Maybe I'm misunderstanding something?
Hello Blink,

Upgrade Plans do not automatically renew. This is an option with Subscriptions since the license would stop working if not renewed (Upgrade Plans include perpetual licenses). Please see: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/F...VsSubscription

In addition to a notice in your Avid account, you should have been alerted that your Plan was ending via Avid Application Manager and email.

More info:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/F...ng-FAQ#Options
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/F...FAQ#HowToRenew
http://www.avid.com/pro-tools/how-to-buy

If there are other factors involved we would suggest that you contact support to provide them for consideration.

Best regards,
JC
Old 01-17-2017, 01:57 AM

Never got an email. If there was ever a notification in the Application Manager, I didn't see it until I went to use PT on my home system just now. I don't regularly use PT on a daily or even weekly basis (I'm more likely to use it with my students on our system on campus). Why did I purchase what my receipt from Avid shows to be an "Annual Upgrade Plan" and store my credit cart in my Master Account if it wasn't going to upgrade annually? And, now that my plan has lapsed, I have no support, so to try and work this out I'm supposed to BUY time to get that answer? It seems to me that, perhaps, there wasn't a good faith effort to let me know that what logically appears to be a yearly expenditure of $99 was going to be transformed into $299 in one year.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:31 AM

So, for posterity, the answer in my situation was to re-purchase the "Pro Tools 12 for Education Upgrade with Annual Upgrade Plan," complete with verification of eligibility, for $99 and re-install from scratch.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:40 PM
Avid

Hi Blink,

We've sent Emails on 11/2 and 11/4, sorry if you're not able to see these. The link to start a case was provided above and you don't need to be on support to start and generate a support case. Please click on >> contact support to go directly to the case creation page.

Best regards,
TD