Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 07-04-2020, 09:54 AM

Default Re: First steps with MTRX Studio

Hey Jeff,

I think I'm getting what you're talking about. What was confusing me was the "MAIN" and "Alt" selections on the EuCon. I was thinking they were source selections rather than speaker selections. So I deleted that extra Mac output. I see what you mean about it being redundant. ProTools and the Mac will just share the "MAIN" output because they're sharing the same speakers. I think it was just getting my head wrapped around the massive flexibility of the DADMan. Let me sit with it for a few days and I'll get back again with anything more. I think the flexibility of the MTRX and the DADMan is just blowing my mind. I'm so happy I got it. I really appreciate your help with all of this. It is quite the update. Thank you.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:31 AM
Avid

No problem. Here’s a bunch of linked videos for MTRX and MTRX Studio referenced from this document to help you dig in deeper. Let me know how it goes:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qx07rc47z...ideos.pdf?dl=0

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 07-04-2020, 10:37 AM

Thanks Jeff. I appreciate it. Have a great weekend.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:01 PM

I've seen a lot of these video but thanks for the incredible link.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:08 PM

Since this is kind of the only MTRX Studio thread, I thought I’d post here instead of on the Windows HDX thread. I Love, Love, Love my MTRX Studio and I’m so happy with it. I have it connected via HDX to my system. I have two monitor sets (KRK-8’s and NS-10M’s) and a dual out for LFE (KRK-12) in a 2.2 config. I’ve got tons of in’s and out’s going through AD/DA, ADAT and 10 Dante devices connected around the studio, plus two systems that have DVS and Dante Via running. Thankfully all of the Dante stuff was already setup and running before I received my MTRX Studio, so swapping out my Presonus 192 that was connected via a patchbay was a breeze. Prior to the MTRX Studio, I had all of the Dante patched through an Eventide H9000 on to ADAT to the 192, so that made connecting everything to the MTRX Studio super easy too. This unit was literally made for someone like me, with a small home studio, but it’s incredibly powerful. I was getting close to pulling the trigger on a MTRX (although it would’ve been quite a while, given the cost). This unit is pretty much everything that I need.

On to the issue. I tend to use the MTRX Studio Daw-less when I’m just noodling. I like to bring up something like Superior Drummer 3 in stand alone mode, and just jam to some drum grooves. Or I can sit down at the kit and record a loop on the TD-50 head and jam on bass and guitar over that. When running SD3, I set it to output to a Digilink pair in the application through the ASIO Avid driver. I then setup the SD3 as a Source in the monitoring profile. I can see the meters moving on the source when I expand the monitor section, but I get no sound in my monitors or metering on the monitor output side. If I change that to patch SD3 through something like DVS, then use that as the Source, it works just fine. I have other hardware going through DG1 and DG2, so I know it works (the monitors are all through DA, but in the monitor profile the monitors are patched through DG1 for Pro Tools output). I’ve tried both DG1 and DG2 connections, just make sure it wasn’t something like DG1 to DG1 being the issue. I can see the output in the SD3 Source meters, so I know the MTRX Studio is seeing the signal. Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Since I have a work around, it’s not a huge issue, although I have slightly more latency going through DVS, so it’s not the optimal solution.

Also, a small bug...when I create a new fold down, I can’t seem to rename it. I’ve tried deleting it and recreating it, but I’m not able to type anything after I select “rename” in the context menu. This is on Windows 10, even though this is the Mac forum. :/

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRWatters View Post

On to the issue. I tend to use the MTRX Studio Daw-less when I’m just noodling. I like to bring up something like Superior Drummer 3 in stand alone mode, and just jam to some drum grooves. Or I can sit down at the kit and record a loop on the TD-50 head and jam on bass and guitar over that. When running SD3, I set it to output to a Digilink pair in the application through the ASIO Avid driver. I then setup the SD3 as a Source in the monitoring profile. I can see the meters moving on the source when I expand the monitor section, but I get no sound in my monitors or metering on the monitor output side.

Also, a small bug...when I create a new fold down, I can’t seem to rename it. I’ve tried deleting it and recreating it, but I’m not able to type anything after I select “rename” in the context menu. This is on Windows 10, even though this is the Mac forum. :/
That sounds like a sample rate issue. Your HDX card is probably set to a different sample than the MTRX Studio. You can verify the HDX sample rate in DADman by selecting the DigiLink 1 in/analog out grid in the routing matrix. That will bring up a window will all channels. In that window, you will see the DigiLink1 sample rate next in a vertical column next to the channel labels (I unfortunately don't a a sceenshot I can share). You may have to scroll down a little to see it.

We are aware of the fold-down bug (and a few others). The fold-down bug is only on Windows. We are collecting bug reports at the moment and will release a new DADman once we think we have then all covered.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:36 AM
Avid

Here's the routing MTRX and indication of sample rate Jan mentions. You can see mine is currently at 192kHz.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 07-05-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Here's the routing MTRX and indication of sample rate Jan mentions. You can see mine is currently at 192kHz.

Jeff
Thanks ;-).
Old 07-05-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntp-jl View Post
That sounds like a sample rate issue. Your HDX card is probably set to a different sample than the MTRX Studio.
Yep, that what it was! Thanks so much Jan and Jeff.

Is there a way to lock the HDX card to 48Khz or lock it to the MTRX Studio? If Pro Tools is open, the HDX card follows the session, so that isn't an issue. When I try to open the Advanced window in the Avid ASIO driver the host/parent process is killed, so I haven't been able to set the HDX card sample rate outside of Pro Tools. It seems to default to 44.1 for new processes.

-- Don
Old 07-05-2020, 05:13 PM
Avid

My primary rigs are on the Mac and this is absolutely possible by simply tweaking that sample rate of choice (set it to your most commonly used rate) under AudioMIDI Setup > Audio for the CoreAudio HDX driver.

I need to do a bit more digging on the Windows side and get back to you.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ