Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-29-2004, 06:30 PM

Default Rumour + 001

I want to use the rumour as my a/d converter but I'm having some probs. First, I'm on 5.3.1 so I've heard that unchecking the s/pdif mirroring box can cause disasters that make 'The Day After Tomorrow' look like a lazy Sunday afternoon. So I didn't touch that... But I'm still having issues.

I've used external a/d's via lightpipe before but never rca digital cables. I had signal passing through the rumour but it was present at s/pdif 1 or 2, so I went to hardware setups and checked s/pdif (unchecking optical) but I still couldn't see any signal from those channles, oh and my computer hard crashed 4 or 5 times before I got it back to optical. Now I'm skerred to touch anything.

It also seems like I can't clock from an external s/pdif source because the options are internal and optical. If that's true then how can the rumour lock to the 001?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I do have a copy of 6.4 sitting in my closet but I'm not going to attempt to install it for another month or two when I finish my current project because:

A. 5.3.1 is rock solid and I don't want to mess with that.
B. I use the DR8 on almost every session and I don't think the current version is as stable as mine. It might not even be functional.
C. I'm not positive if the Waves plugins version 3.6 will work in 6.4. (Anyone?)

Thanks, Paul.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Rumour + 001

There is some kind of clocking issue with 5.3.1 but considering that you already have 6.1, there's no reason you can't install it, and then upgrade to 6.4 with the free cs update. Unless there is some other reason for not wanting to upgrade to 6.1>6.4, this is probably your best bet. I wouldn't recommend using the converters with 5.3.1 if only to avoid screwing up what already works.

I find 6.4 very stable. If you're concerned that on going projects may get damaged, you needn't be. Everything gets automatically updated to the new version. Other than a few differences in the interface, it's the same and more responsive. I upgraded from 5.1.1 to 6.4 with no ill effects at all and got more features (rewire, TCE) that I really needed. Then you'd be able to use your converters.

BTW:You may have to upgrade your Waves package to work PTLE 6.4. Their site should tell you if someone here doesn't respond.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:42 AM

Thanks myfm,

I should probably just get Norton Ghost and give it a go. I'll look around and see what all it would take to get Waves and the DR8 working with PTLE 6.4.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:16 AM

Hold up, for a long time all we had was 5.3.1, during that time was there anyone out there successfully using external converters with the 001??? Sorry MFYM, I don't mean to doubt you but I bet there's a way to do this. Anyone?
Old 08-31-2004, 07:36 AM

Yeah, someone must have been using converters all this time.

I was poking around the pt manual and came across this, don't know if you saw it already;

Digi 001 Systems
Pro Tools can receive external clock from the
optical input (on the Digi 001 PCI card) or
S/PDIF input (on the Digi 001 I/O box).
To select an external clock source for a Digi 001
system:
1 Choose Setups > Hardware Setup.
2 Set the Sync Mode to match the type of input.
If you choose Optical, make sure the Optical
Format matches the type of optical input you
are sending to your Pro Tools system.

If you set the Optical Format to S/PDIF,
Pro Tools will watch the Optical port for external
clock, and ignore any clock input on
the S/PDIF RCA jacks.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:47 AM

It's not that anyone wasn't able to use external converters, it was that in some setups, if you set it up the way you were suppose to to, it would lead to a big crash and it became impossible to set the system back to the way it was and some people were unable to use their systems at all. Digidesign, to play it safe, then announced to not use converters at all until the problem was fixed which didn't happen I believe until 6.1 I believe there was a workaround but again, it didn't work on all setups and proved too much of a risk otherwise.

Is there some reason you're not upgrading to 6.1? You don't need to take the risk.

I would suggest doing a search for after 5.3.1 came out (maybe May two years ago?) cause this issue has been explained alot.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I would suggest doing a search for after 5.3.1 came out (maybe May two years ago?) cause this issue has been explained alot.

Hi,

I tried searching the duc and answerbase and couldn't find anything.

Does someone have direct experience with this? I'm curious, because I'm still on 5.3.1 and want to add converters fairly soon.

I'll probably go to 6.4, though.

bp
Old 09-02-2004, 12:57 AM

Quote:
If you set the Optical Format to S/PDIF,
Pro Tools will watch the Optical port for external
clock, and ignore any clock input on
the S/PDIF RCA jacks.

Wiggy... So if I set the optical format to S/Pdif Pro tools will ignore the S/Pdif. Maybe that was my problem. I'll try again tomorrow. This time I won't check the S/Pdif box of doom.

P.S. Since the Title of this thread is rumour + 001 I bet a lot of people would like to know a little bit about the rumour. Beleive the hype... IT DOES ROCK! Awesome little verb box. I like it better than the Lexicon and TC boxes that are triple or quadruple the price. If I get it functioning as my converter I'll post some A/B tests with the 001 if anyones interested.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:24 AM

the rumour is definitely on my list. I'd be particularly interested to know if it functions well as a converter.

bp
Old 09-06-2004, 11:08 PM

Hey Badperson, I finally got the rumour functioning as my A/D converter and it sounds great. It took away that presence band mush that always bugged me about the 001's converters.

Here's what I did, I changed the routing of the S/pdif channels to 17 & 18 rather than 9 & 10, and I set the clock to external.

Peace, Paul