Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2014, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Codec error on video import

It's a Quicktime Movie File.

I just did the following:
Opened activity monitor and found the "Avid Video Engine" Process. Selected force quit. Pro tools gave an error and I clicked ok. video engine relaunched and video imported again, but is still black...
Old 03-02-2014, 07:12 PM

Sounds like the problem has to do with having an older AMA plug-in mixed with newer PT11 or MC7 AMA plug-ins. You should check the AMA folder (applications Support/Avid/AVX2 plug-ins).

Anything in this folder older than Aug 2013?

You could also move that folder to the desktop and do an uninstall - reinstall.

You could also try just moving the AVX plug-ins out of that folder (to a safe folder on the desktop). Launch PT and see if video import works. Add the plug-ins back 1 at a time until you find the culprit.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:34 PM

Problems here to:

"missing codec"
No Media Composer Installed
No AVA plugins whatsover
Installed that codec pack floating around
using vanilla h264 quicktimes
16GB Ram
OSX 10.7.5

What's the deal? Was really hoping 11 could fix the pesky -2015 errors my bounce to QTs in 10 were getting.

Fix your sh...'tuff Avid!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:43 AM

+1

Same here. Fresh install on Mavericks. Pro Tools 11.1.2.

No pug ins in AVX2 folder. No MC6/7 installed. Installed Codec Package from Pro Tools Installer. Repaired permissions. Double checked Read/Write. Restarted several times.

Nothing. Anything else I can do?
Old 03-20-2014, 02:32 AM

This CODEC error is happening for me too. Until this day there haven't been any importing problems. Suddenly I can't import ProRes/PhotoJPEG videos like yesterday. 11 has been problem free for me.. not anymore. Prefs trashed/permissions repaired.
I can still import DV/mp4.

Last edited by P_J; 03-21-2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:57 AM

Ok. I found a solution for my problem and this time the reason was Apple’s Compressor.
I’ve been using Compressor with two different computers. Same version, same presets. I noticed that second Compressor's Preferences > Advanced > Enable Additional Compressor instances is checked. I unchecked that and now I’m able to import ProRes/PhotoJPEG again. I’m always compressing videos to ProRes or PhotoJPEG before I start to work. Other day I reseted one Compressor queue and during this operation I checked EACI by mistake (I think).
Although PT10 opens all those files ok.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:07 PM

Video import problems in PT11 - PT10 works fine with Video
having same issues as many others , same error messages .. "This session contains media that is not supported possibly due to missing CODEC." and "Unable to link to files xxxx due to either missing codec or file may be unsupported"
-------- -------- --------
MY SYSTEM
MacBook Pro 13" - 2009 / 2010 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
8 GB RAM
OSX 10.8.5
QuickTime Version - 10.2

PT 10 - 10.3.7.296 / August 7, 2013
PT 11 - 11.1.2.214 / January 16, 2014
------- ------- --------

nothing installed in the AVX2_plug-ins folder (path > library/application support/Avid/AVX2_plug-ins )
I did download most recent AvidCodecsLE pkg and installed

using mpeg Streamslip to transfer - tried > Avid DNxHD , h.264 to .mov file
all encoded .mov do open and play in QuickTime 10 player.

----- ----- ----
REGARDING QUICKTIME - I found this in the tech support pages
QuickTime Player is not currently compatible with Avid Audio Interfaces on Mac OS X 10.8 (PTSW-163965)

QuickTime Player is not currently compatible with Avid Audio Interfaces on Mac OS X 10.8 (PTSW-163965)
QuickTime Player does not currently support Avid audio devices as output devices with Mac OS X 10.8. Audio will not pass through
and playback will not start. Please use an alternate audio interface for QuickTime Player, or use another software solution for playing
back QuickTime files with Avid audio devices as a workaround for this issue.

------- ------ -------
I see that many users are using QuickTime 7 and QuickTime 7 Pro ?
I did find QuickTime 7 Pro is still available from the Apple website - store .. .. .. but , unsure about having different version of Quictime in 107 , 10.8 or Mavericks .. since Apple is pushing QuickTimeX which I read several negative reviews due to not being able to enter custom settings.

-------------------------------
I have been using ProTools since the beginning days …
I am an Audio Engineer - Class A Studio Background - Analog sync ProTools / Digital
I am not a Post or Editor
use iMovie ( ver 6 and 8) . but considering Final Cut X .. also looking into iMovie 9 ad 11 ???

My Goal on this Audio / Video Project is to get the best quality Final Product to send out for Copies for client.
I gladly could use help from any of U experienced Post Editors as to settings to use .. tips , etc
Please feel free to contact me by email -
I am in the middle of a long Audio / Video project and would prefer to use PT11 if possible .. ..

*** note - I have spent several days .. maybe a week ( or more) searching the DUC and net for solutions … these type situations certainly make work WORK and also when just writing /creating .. makes music not so fun ..
Old 04-21-2014, 11:39 AM

I'm also having same issues as below + the video thumbnail problem. Videos which imports just fine on one time randomly stops working after reloading sessions another time. Reimporting or any other suggested thing doesn't help. I'm running 11.1.2 HD with an Avid qualified iMac. PT11 is almost completely unusable for me because of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesna View Post
Video import problems in PT11 - PT10 works fine with Video
having same issues as many others , same error messages .. "This session contains media that is not supported possibly due to missing CODEC." and "Unable to link to files xxxx due to either missing codec or file may be unsupported"
-------- -------- --------
MY SYSTEM
MacBook Pro 13" - 2009 / 2010 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
8 GB RAM
OSX 10.8.5
QuickTime Version - 10.2

PT 10 - 10.3.7.296 / August 7, 2013
PT 11 - 11.1.2.214 / January 16, 2014
------- ------- --------

nothing installed in the AVX2_plug-ins folder (path > library/application support/Avid/AVX2_plug-ins )
I did download most recent AvidCodecsLE pkg and installed

using mpeg Streamslip to transfer - tried > Avid DNxHD , h.264 to .mov file
all encoded .mov do open and play in QuickTime 10 player.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:25 AM

I have PT10.6.8 on an approved DELL model and have a problem with MOV files as well. Some of the MOV files give me a white box when put on the time line. Just sound and no picture. Is there a codec missing from PT???? And with a straight answer, what exactly should the details of the MOV codec be. I want to see it all right down to the bit rate. Max file size? Depth? Just a simple list will do.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:14 PM

The codecs issue was fixed in 11.1.3, I believe.. Along with a bunch of other video-related fixes.