Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-01-2005, 03:33 PM

Default ilok working?

after reading that epic thread regarding the lost ilok key i wondered:

How is ilok doing? Are plug-in manufacturers pleased with what it's doing for their bottom line? Not that I'm intereseted (beleive me) but has anyone been kracking the 6.x/10.x plug-ins in spite of ilok?

I don't know, after all the trouble it would be cool to hear, 'Ilok has saved our company' or 'Well, it's helped but not perfect yet'...

ya' know?...

detroitkruk
Old 08-01-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: ilok working?

Just a heads up... Discussing piracy issues on the DUC is frowned on, and will most often cause a thread to be deleted.

Lee Blaske
Old 08-01-2005, 04:49 PM

No iLok only plug-ins have the "lifetime demos" available, since iLok started about 3-4 years ago it has been solid. Of course there are still companies that for some reason offer iLok and challenge/response namely Waves, not sure why they still do this but obviously that doesn't work for copy protection and never has.

I think all the companies are extremely pleased with iLok, without it I doubt that we would ever see anything from Eventide, TC Electronic, URS and some of the other big-name developers. In my opinion Lexicon left after seeing their great product the LexiVerb on every system in all the major studios with very few legitimate sales, there are still lots of studios running OS9 and Mix only for the "lifetime demos" , producers and engineers that can easily afford to purchase plug-ins legitimately and just don't care, sad but true.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:27 PM

I said it once before and I'll say it again: Ilok is awesome. I won't engage in the pointless arguing about whether it's a dictatorship or some sort of monopoly. All I'll say is that I recently had to rebuild a dead system and without ilok, it would have taken 3 times as long. With ilok, all we had to do is install the plug-ins and they came to life. In the challenge/response days, this was a process that took due diligence for weeks!!

For me, it's not a matter of whether the bottom line of a manufacturer is being bolstered. All I care about is how easily I can get a system up and running from the start OR if I have to rebuild it from the ground up. Ilok gets my vote. It could be better, but it could be a lot worse too.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:40 PM

I have over 70 licenses on 2 iLok's I shudder to think how mlong it would take me to move all my PI from one computer to another.
I recently put in a 400 GB internal drive I used CCC and all my stuff was moved to the new drive in about aboyt an hour while I ate lunch.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:24 AM

For the record, the client I had to rebuild the system for had 84 ilok assets alone and I had to re-install most of the plug-ins from scratch (some I had copied and just had to move them into the folder). As anyone can vouch for, installing the plugs on a new hard drive is the easy part. Getting the licenses situated is the hard part. I love the ilok way!!