How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2013, 02:12 PM

Default Which control surface?

Hey guys!

I am running pro tools 10.3.2 with the CPTK on OSX 10.8.0 and am wanting a new control surface. Budget is the main determining factor.

My two options are the Digi 002 faderpack or the Command|8. I don't necessarily need the interface attached to the device, but I don't mind having it. On the used market they go for around the same price and idk what are the advantages or disadvantages from either setup since I'm not running a TDM system and no new thread relevant to Pro Tools 10 has come out comparing the two.

This is also for my home setup, since we will have a pro control in our studio, so footprint is important, but both controllers fit my space requirements.

I need a little help because I don't really get the difference between the two devices once you step away from hardware DSP.

I postes this in the command|8 thread, but not a peep, so I'm reposting it here.

Thanks,
Min
Old 03-17-2013, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Which control surface?

Your problem is going to come if/when you upgrade to PT11 as those devices will no longer work. Or at least there won't be nay support. Why buy something that's been eol'd for a long time anyway?

QAPLA!
Old 03-17-2013, 03:04 PM

These days, the Artist Mix looks like the best option. I've seen them used for $800-900. 002 is an interface(IOW, you can't use it as a controller with some other interface) and as musicman pointed out, PT11 is more than likely the last nail in the coffin for the old beast. Now the 003 is rumored to "most likely" work with PT11(and its a better interface than the 002 for sure). I recently saw a used 003 that was modded by Black Lion Audio, and that might be a serious contender(BLA stopped doing that mod as space was so tight that they felt it was more work than they wanted to do). I use the 003 here, but the Artist will likely be my choice when I move to HD/Native in the near future

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-17-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Your problem is going to come if/when you upgrade to PT11 as those devices will no longer work. Or at least there won't be nay support. Why buy something that's been eol'd for a long time anyway?
As far as I know the command 8 will still work with pt 11, I haven't seen it in the list of incompatible control surfaces, I could be wrong though.

Wave-T.com
Old 03-17-2013, 04:34 PM

woops my mistake. it is listed.

Wave-T.com
Old 03-17-2013, 04:39 PM

I'd go with the Mix. Eucon is at least in theory still alive (hah, they haven't updated it in a year+ but they claim are working on a huge update that is close). Faders are better I've heard, and it has a much better footprint.

Unless you could find a used Command 8 for like $300, I'd spend the extra money and get the Artist.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:40 PM

+1 for the Artist Mix.

I used to work with one, and after the horrific problems these units had with the older firmware, they certainly grew to be fairly good.
Just make sure you get the latest firmware!

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 03-18-2013, 08:34 AM

Default Which control surface?

Funny now everybody is writing on both threads I posted after the first one was ignored; nonetheless, I'm really thankful. Every time I look at the artist series I see more than I want to pay. I don't see myself upgrading to 11 because I lose a lot of plugins since there is no VST-AAX wrapper and if I do upgrade is because business is running well enough that I can upgrade the studio as well as home.

64 bit support is not on my list of needs. That being said I will look the prices once more.

The only problem I see with the command|8 is that you can't use other controllers with it and I use the novation stuff to control plugins. Will I not be able to use my novation controller with the command|8?