Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 09-24-2016, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Assign Module Hardware not working

BTW, the system is unable to update modules until it can identify them. First things first!
Old 09-24-2016, 02:46 PM

Hi Postman,

Thanks for your time. I have uninstalled Eucon completely, then uninstalled S6WSControl, rebooted and then re-installed S6WSControl again.

To answer your question, when I boot the S6 I do "not" get a diagnostics window, should I? It just goes straight to the configuration page.

I have rebooted the S6 many times and then tried to reconfigure again, and I can press any button or move any fader on the entire console and none of them register (but everything is lit up like it is good and ready to be recognized).

At this point I'm thinking of doing a system restore. Good idea?

I also have a 2.0 (not 2.2) S6MasterModule installer and 2.0 S6WSControl installer which I thought might be worth a try instead of the 2.2 versions of both that I initially installed. The reason being that this desk is over a year old and has never been turned on until now and I am sure it needs hardware updates and yet the system is not asking for any.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:53 PM

Sorry, just saw your second post about updates only once it has identified the units.

One of the problems is this. When I boot my mac it opens S6WSControl and tries to look for the network. Then it opens up the Network Setup window automatically and asks me to confirm the Desk ID and Network Device. It asks to save and reboot but it 'doesn't' reboot the Mac, it just closes the app.

So I uninstalled it again and this time installed the v2.0 version instead. That one works fine and saves and reboots the computer. But...that means that it is a different version than the S6MasterModule software. That's why I was thinking of trying to backwards with the software.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:47 PM

Did the surface work last year? You said it's been in boxes for a year, so did you see it work before?

I wonder if the modules are all claimed by a different Master Module? I was reading Appendix A of the S6 install guide. Try holding the upper two right buttons on one or more modules. On fader modules this would be a SWAP and SELECT button. After a few seconds, the module should be temporarily become "unclaimed" and available to be reclaimed. Can you now configure?

Regarding your Mac, we should ignore the Mac and S6Control questions until the surface can be configured.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:00 PM

It hasn't been used since it was purchased, so this is it's first setup.

I'm looking in the S6 installation guide as you suggested. I don't see what you're talking about in Appendix A (older manual maybe?) but I just tried doing what you said on every module. Tey are all now blinking on the upper right LED, swap, function etc. How do I now get out of this mode?

I did go into the regular utility mode for all of the modules last night (select and swap on channel 1 for faders etc.) and they all checked out on all the tests but I'd never heard of the reclaim mode. Anyway, what steps do I take next to get out of this mode? Thanks!
Old 09-24-2016, 04:23 PM

If that didn't make them discoverable when you try to configure, then my theory is disproved. The "unclaimed" mode is temporary until either it is claimed or a power cycle, if I read correctly. It is not something I've had to think about even when I installed a new Master Module on my surface.

If I were in your shoes I think I would seek Avid's support guidance. I've not done a system restore from the USB stick that came with your MTM so I don't know if there are any lurking surprises.

Just to clarify something, though... When you say you try to configure and the modules light up, is it only blinking purple LEDS on each module or is it all LEDS on all modules? Purple LEDs mean the network communications aren't happening, but if the entire surface lites up, then I really don't understand why you cannot configure.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:28 PM

Yeah, I tried the 'unclaim' thing and it didn't change anything.

Like you say, my best bet is to talk to Avid Support next week.

Yes, when I hit next on the configuration page every LED on the desk lights up, not purple flashing ones.

Thanks again for your help Postman!
Old 09-24-2016, 05:01 PM

Two small things I wanted to mention before but was saving them until we got there. Which we apparently will not today! Anyway, did you purposefully set the S6 desk ID to 2 (Settings/Surface/GearIcon)? I'm pretty certain the MTM default is 1 unless you change it. Shouldn't matter as long as both it and S6Control are set the same.

Regarding module firmware updates, I've noticed when updating from 2.1 to 2.2, I had to manually update the modules before the surface configuration would work. On my M10 when I go to the S6 Settings/Surface page, I have a few choices along the bottom of the screen: Config, Update, Export, GearIcon (to change desk ID). It sounds like you are being taken immediately to the Config pages, skipping past the Update choice.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:13 PM

Also, are you not able to cancel out of Config?
Old 09-24-2016, 05:38 PM

Well I did change back to Desk 1, I was just trying another number (on both the S6 and the Mac) to see if it made a difference.

That's really interesting what you say about having to manually update the modules. So you're saying you had an update button at the bottom for yours? I don't have that option. Wonder if that's only something you get once you've already had an initial setup....

Yes, I can escape Config as normal and the modules just go back to being dark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2825.jpg (39.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2826.jpg (33.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2827.jpg (71.2 KB, 0 views)