Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Re: McDSP Classic Pack Vs. Waves Ren Maxx

Well I have neither and if I did have the $$ and the choice between those 2 companies I would go with McDSP in a heartbeat. I've heard nothing but great things about the company. I've demoed their products and think they are great. Granted I demoed the LE versions. Go with the Classic Pack and enjoy. Don't go with Waves unless you like renting plugins. Don't let their reputation for quality sway you. Sure people think they are fantastic, but their business practices are abhorrent and IMHO no one should support this company in any way.

M.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Make it another McDsp vote here. I've used both and the McDsp stuff is way better. The Revolver verb plug takes up some serious computer horsepower, but sounds great.
I'm a day or 2 away from buying a bundle - probably McDSP Emerald Native - and I've been trying to get more feedback on this before I pulled the trigger. I read in another thread that someone couldn't get a single insert of Revolver to run, and I believe they were on a G5. I'm on a G4.

Can you give some more detail on the type of performance you're getting with it?
Old 04-04-2007, 05:19 PM

I don't have the the McDSP, I have a few waves bundles that either came with my 002 back in the day, or I bought for $40 bucks. I have pretty much all the key Ren plug-ins and a few of there effects. I like all of the plug-ins that I own, but if I had to pay full pop for them, i'd probably go to another company, like Massey, McDSP, etc. WUP is lame, and ilok policies are wicked lame. Lucky for memy bundles are inexpensive so WUP is cheap. But that's my case. There are so many companies out there that make great stuff for way less. I would have bought the Massey stuff a long time ago, had I not owned the Rencomp. Check out Massey demo's they are free to use as long as you want, I would go that route. McDSP is really great as well. My vote would go to McDSP in your case, if there are no more options. But there are a lot more options out there, so take advantage of that.

As far as pitch correcting, Melodyne IMHO is the king of all pitch correcting, easy to use, very creative and it makes sense. The plug-in version would really be all you need, and actually I think you have uno essential in your ignition pack. So it would be a cheaper upgrade to the plug-in version. They all have demo versions. www.celemony.com

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 04-04-2007, 10:29 PM

Ren Maxx, very useful plugs, the WUP debate is largely irrelevant.

cheers.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:40 AM

Quote:
What about the Ren bass compressor or the vox compressors?
Are they not as good as the compressors that come with te McDSP stuff?
also, there is a auto tune like plug in that comes with the Waves stuff.
What would you recommend to fill that hole?
Do you can to buy Waves Musician Bundle 2 for 150$ (5 plugins Rcomp, Rvox, Raxx, Req, Doubler, SuperTap)

You can to buy theses 2 packs less than USD$1000