Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 06:22 PM

Default How is PT lacking in Midi

Pt is the only recording software I have used midi with and it seems to do me just fine...from what I have read it seems alot of people say that PT sucks for midi. In what way? What are the down sides of using midi in PT? And What supposedly make some of the other apps better for doing midi?

your thoughts...
Old 07-25-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Re: How is PT lacking in Midi

My very first post was pretty much the same question. It got pulled in like 3 hours.

In PTLE's midi there's:

no notation
no midi plug-ins at all like an arp
no "freeze"
no way to redirect a note to another when recording
no way to use any other software with the midi ports of the 001 or 002 (PTLE hogs their midi ports)
no built in soft synths or sounds
no drum programming specific method

There's alot more but it's just easier to use Logic. Oh wait, that's Mac only.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:14 PM

i would agree that its not = to logic or cubase or sonar. however, its much better and very easy to use.i use pt for all my midi and i have no problems. it might just take one extra step. i would, however love to see a freeze function... hopefully in pt 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 10:03 PM

A freeze function, as in rendering plugins and softsynths to an audio file? I don't think of that as a MIDI feature, though it would be handy.

Old 07-26-2005, 12:22 PM

I was horrified that there were still no patch names on the PC side in V 6.4. Bank and controller select, and patches 1-128 for eight banks. Out comes the Roland manual...

I need to read the manual, but the other day I expected to be able to put the "speaker" hand tool over a MIDI chord and hear it, but that did not happen. Also frustrating is that on the MIDI track, there is a vertical keyboard, but it doesn't play any notes if you click on it. It's only to help you reference the note you're editing in the MIDI grid. For me, the occasional programmer, it would be very helpful to have drum *patch names* instead of black and white keys.

Does the 6.7 upgrade fix anything in that respect?
AMD Radeon HD 6570
2 WDC WD10EURX-63FH1Y0
www.soundchasm.com
Old 07-26-2005, 01:51 PM

Personally I am quite happy with the midi implementation in PT.

I was concerned because I wanted to do midi, recording and have a hardware interface and I didn't have a large budget. In getting Pro Tools I thought I was sacrificing on the midi side over going with Sonar etc... However, it does everything I want/need it to do and more. You can't do better for price than the MBox bundle. As for the comment about Soft synths...PT comes bundled with Reason Adapted and SampleTank LE - Quite a few sounds that you get right out of the box.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Does the 6.7 upgrade fix anything in that respect?
Yes - 6.7 has a lot of MIDI imrprovements.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 07-26-2005, 06:33 PM

I guess I'll get brave and do the deed. I've been sitting on the CD for quite a while. But I think I'll finish up one or two projects just to be on the safe side! ;>

One feature Sonar had that I thought was pretty cool, was the ability to type in the lyrics and assign notes to them to generate a lead sheet. Of course, that's for actual musicians and not THIS guitar player...

Thank you Rail.
AMD Radeon HD 6570
2 WDC WD10EURX-63FH1Y0
www.soundchasm.com
Old 07-26-2005, 07:34 PM

Pro Tools does everything I need it to do in the midi department and it is easy to use for people just starting to get their head around midi.

My friend is just discovering midi and bought Sonar and asked me to help him set it up. How hard could it be I thought? Boy was I wrong! He ended up buying my old 001 off me!
Old 07-26-2005, 09:25 PM

tele, your right..freeze is not a midi function.. ive been going on very little sleep. i hate when i say goofy things......