Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2012, 05:23 AM

Default Edit Selection BUG or FEATURE /?

Anyone else having trouble with using edit selection start and ends using keypad on 10.3 and up?

Example :

1. I have a clip selected : http://i49.tinypic.com/2dj84m9.png

2. I tap in "119" into the start (using "/" key to edit) : http://i46.tinypic.com/359zew8.png

3. When I press enter, it should change both the start and end to 119, but it only changes the end instead :http://i49.tinypic.com/33k91le.png

4. When I tap in "0" on "length" :http://i46.tinypic.com/sxc7c7.png

5. It changes the start and end to 119, as it should have done in 3, but doesn't keep both at 115, as you would now expect it to. :
http://i46.tinypic.com/154zz48.png

Which you could argue is a new "feature", except that if you paste something after doing the first 3, it pastes at the end selection not the start (ie at 119, not 115). What's the point of having a selection selected if the start and ends aren't what you think they are?

Why do things that have worked fine for 10+ years suddenly break?

Please please fix this AVID it's driving me mad.

Edit : It does this on both Lion and Mountain Lion, so I don't think it's the OS.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Edit Selection BUG or FEATURE /?

Yes, not an OS issue, I've got this too here on 10.6.8. Very annoying.

This and not being able to select plugins or Bounce to Disk dialog menu items by hitting "return" without going to the start of the timeline are the main things driving me nuts in 10.3.2....
Old 10-22-2012, 05:32 AM

Maybe we're the only 2 people left using this function eh?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:10 AM

Apparently so! And I guess we won't be using it for much longer either....
Old 10-22-2012, 10:05 AM

What action are you trying to accomplish when using these commands? I don't doubt that they're broken, just wondering what it is you're actually doing that requires this kind of text entry. There might be an easier/faster way to do it, whatever "it" is.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:35 PM

This is for entering a precise start and end point -- it's much faster and easier to do it that way than to try and hit it on the timeline with the mouse.

Often I might want to start a record pass at exactly 2:00, or 5:00, or whatever. Or I have notes from a client that are referencing times from the start of a rough mix that might begin at any random time... if I get a note that asks for a change at 3:57 but my rough mix started at 11:32 it's super quick and easy to put the cursor at the start of the mix and select a length of 3:57 by typing it in, which gets me to the referenced time much quicker than trying to do the math in my head....

It's mostly stuff like that for me, which is super fast and easy when it works.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioRhythm View Post
This is for entering a precise start and end point -- it's much faster and easier to do it that way than to try and hit it on the timeline with the mouse.

Often I might want to start a record pass at exactly 2:00, or 5:00, or whatever. Or I have notes from a client that are referencing times from the start of a rough mix that might begin at any random time... if I get a note that asks for a change at 3:57 but my rough mix started at 11:32 it's super quick and easy to put the cursor at the start of the mix and select a length of 3:57 by typing it in, which gets me to the referenced time much quicker than trying to do the math in my head....

It's mostly stuff like that for me, which is super fast and easy when it works.
Agreed, just quicker and easier than using the mouse, as are most keyboard commands (especially for someone as cack-handed as me). Surprised no one else is moaning about this bug to be honest.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:12 PM

So, 10.3.4 has fixed the start/stop manual entry point bug, but I still can't hit return to select a menu item -- when I do, Pro Tools also jumps to the start of the timeline. Having the keystroke perform double duty like this is definitely not helpful.

Is there a fix coming for this? It's so much quicker and more ergonomic to use the arrow keys and return key to select from a long list of menu items (plugins, playlists) rather than having to use the mouse for the whole process. I've been doing this for many, many years in Pro Tools and it's been a major workflow impediment not being able to do this since 10.3.whatever... (10.3.2?)

Please, someone from Avid tell me that this is coming in 10.3.5!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioRhythm View Post
So, 10.3.4 has fixed the start/stop manual entry point bug, but I still can't hit return to select a menu item -- when I do, Pro Tools also jumps to the start of the timeline. Having the keystroke perform double duty like this is definitely not helpful.

Is there a fix coming for this? It's so much quicker and more ergonomic to use the arrow keys and return key to select from a long list of menu items (plugins, playlists) rather than having to use the mouse for the whole process. I've been doing this for many, many years in Pro Tools and it's been a major workflow impediment not being able to do this since 10.3.whatever... (10.3.2?)

Please, someone from Avid tell me that this is coming in 10.3.5!
Might be quicker and more ergonomic for you but cursor navigation by way of arrow keys is not the way most people work. Certainly less work and quicker for me using the mouse than your way, as it is for a lot of people that don't use control surfaces with built-in keys for doing such.

QAPLA!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:40 AM

Certainly everybody has their own ways to work, and that's great. I just want to ability to work the way I always have, which for me is way quicker.

Let me give you an example of how this method saves me time -- say you're in waveform display mode on a vocal track, you have lots of playlists, and need to create a new one. If you just click on the playlist drop-down button, hit the 'n' key and hit return, you've got a new playlist and you're done. Same thing with 'd' for duplicate playlist (both these are assuming that you don't name your vocal track New Vocal, Dave Vocal, or similar, in which case you're out of luck....) This is much, much quicker than mousing over to 'new playlist' when you've got 100 playlists of vocal takes to scroll past first.

Or say you're on a system with lots of plugins installed and you want to insert z-room (not that you probably would, I haven't used it for years, but.... ) Click on the insert, select your format, hit 'z' and return and you're done. I used to do this all the time, it's always quicker for me to hit the first letter of a plugin name and then scroll a few slots if needed than to mouse over to it from the top.

Very quick! At least until return started performing double duty, that is.