Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2019, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 2019 !

I asked that question a few years back and at the time I was told the ratio was approximately 50/50 for Mac to PC by someone who seemed to know. I don't remember where that stat came from, so I have no confirmation that it's true. But it does sound like the current trend is more toward PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftalive View Post
Yeah, I too am very interested to know where you saw this.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:25 PM

My friend is a programmer for top security firms all over the planet. He used to bug me forever about me using macs......last month he switched all his own stuff over to mac........he said it was like divorcing a severe alchoholic, you dont even know the reality until you leave........i just chuckle now....
Old 02-15-2019, 02:29 PM

I switched to a windows machine a couple years ago. Rock solid performance. At the time I spent about 2700 on a machine that would have cost me more than 9000.00 on a Mac Pro with similar performance. Windows 10 GUI is not as elegant as MacOS. That I freely admit. 6300$ More elegant tho? Not to me.

Yes you do have to be careful about what you buy/build in the PC world. There are a ton of bargain machines, and outright garbage that I wouldn't burden a kinder-gardener with. That isn't M$s fault really. It does reflect negatively on the platform however. You can see that in the experiences listed in this thread even.

I suspect most(I did not say all, so leave out your edge cases please) Windows problems are either lack of understanding of the platform, or buying wrongly specked hardware for the use case. It isn't as easy as walking into an Apple store and getting almost anything off the shelf.

Windows isn't fantastic, No O/S is in my opinion... but it is very reliable when specked appropriately with good components from proven manufactures.

Looking at the article and taking it on its merits, it looks as if Apple was caught with its pants down by creatives leaving the platform due to blatant hostility toward them by the Fruit company (Apple tax, Headphone jack deletion, port starvation, lack of professional level machines, non-upgradabilty etc..).

For those with unlimited budgets, maybe those things are ok. They aren't ok for me, and I left the entire ecosystem and took my wife and kids along. The headphone jack deletion on the iphone was the last straw for me btw.

Last edited by gnjlee; 02-15-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
My friend is a programmer for top security firms all over the planet. He used to bug me forever about me using macs......last month he switched all his own stuff over to mac........he said it was like divorcing a severe alchoholic, you dont even know the reality until you leave........i just chuckle now....
In a few years he'll be probably saying the same again
Old 02-15-2019, 03:04 PM

My only advice for the people wanting to try PC is:
.... buy Dell.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
I've worked on both Mac and PC with Protools and general computing, and doing anything on a Mac is one giant headache. They way they limit everything that you want to try to do, and hide all the settings in the most obsure places possible is infuriating. And I just can't stand the Fisher Price preschool look to the GUI.

If I had my druthers, I would be working full time on a Linux system. But getting audio interfaces and Protools to work on Linux is nigh impossible.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 02-15-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
I've worked on both Mac and PC with Protools and general computing, and doing anything on a Mac is one giant headache. They way they limit everything that you want to try to do, and hide all the settings in the most obsure places possible is infuriating. And I just can't stand the Fisher Price preschool look to the GUI.

If I had my druthers, I would be working full time on a Linux system. But getting audio interfaces and Protools to work on Linux is nigh impossible.
I am with you there. I wish the audio industry would support Linux.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:03 PM

I never go to windows...

Protools Ultimate has own windows on OSX...
On Windows, There is STILL ONE and only one window, which has to be expanded on the second Display... What is so difficult, that PTU works with windows the same as in OSX... I mean two dedicated Windows. Edit and Mix..2 seperate Windows...

In the Windows Version of PT, you have only ONE window, which you can expand over 2 Monitors and Edit and Mix Windows are in THAT one Window...No i will never use the Windows Version with this limitation...
Old 02-15-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
I wish the audio industry would support Linux.
That'd be like going back in time to machines that are mostly pre-built in factory and not upgraded by customer (as in consoles). If something, the industry will go back to all-mac, assuming people flock to Logic for MIDI composing. That and AU will never exist on Windows or Linux.

The only reason we are even talking about Windows as an option is Avid's and Steinberg's greed. They saw the potential customers using dirt cheap hardware and made their products cross-platform. Today, the Pure Crap stuff isn't the thing but as Apple keeps us waiting for the new Mac Pro, currently the self-built PC looks better than ever -- but even then there is the choice of building a Windows or a Hackintosh workstation.

To see big money studios move from Mac to Win is just wishful thinking. Apple has limited number of hardware models for sale, therefore it is viable to take those to Avid's testing grid -- which in turn means tighter support, which is what big money studios want.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackerLe View Post
I never go to windows...
Same here