Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2014, 04:01 PM

Default No Interface need Audio Output through Internal Speakers

Sorry for stupid question. But I have been reading for an hour and this is over my head.

I am a film student and will be using PT for audio post so I do not have an interface.

I'm on:

PT 11. Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.1

I need the audio to come out of my iMac speakers. This was not a problem for me with PT 10. But that was almost 2 years ago when I installed it and I cannot remember if I had the same problem.

Getting my I/O set has been a struggle for me.

Again, sorry for the noob question.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:35 PM

Default Re: No Interface need Audio Output through Internal Speakers

What is your Playback Engine set to?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackjaw View Post
Sorry for stupid question. But I have been reading for an hour and this is over my head.

I am a film student and will be using PT for audio post so I do not have an interface.

I'm on:

PT 11. Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.1

I need the audio to come out of my iMac speakers. This was not a problem for me with PT 10. But that was almost 2 years ago when I installed it and I cannot remember if I had the same problem.

Getting my I/O set has been a struggle for me.

Again, sorry for the noob question.
Hold the 'n' key down on your keyboard while starting PT and you'll be able to select the audio I/O you want to use. That being said you do NOT want to use any computer's (especially an iMac - I have one and the internal audio is horrid - there's no bass response and the internal sounds like a telephone) internal audio for any kind of serious audio work, especially post. Buy yourself a real interface or at least get a headphone amp and a decent pair of headphones to use. You'll be better off for it.

For the rest of what you're doing you might want to get a copy of the PT101 courseware book.

QAPLA!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Buy yourself a real interface or at least get a headphone amp and a decent pair of headphones to use. You'll be better off for it.

For the rest of what you're doing you might want to get a copy of the PT101 courseware book.

Thanks to both of you. I had already tried changing my the Playback Engine to the internal output but for whatever reason it didn't work. I reinstalled pro tools and tried again. now it is working.

musicman,

thanks for the tips. I do not use the internal speakers directly, I have Audio Technica m50 headphones. I was not aware of the headphone amp. Do you have any recommendations?

Also, I actually DO have the 101 book, haha. I know how to edit in Pro Tools, I'm just an idiot when it comes to the setup.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackjaw View Post
Thanks to both of you. I had already tried changing my the Playback Engine to the internal output but for whatever reason it didn't work. I reinstalled pro tools and tried again. now it is working.

musicman,

thanks for the tips. I do not use the internal speakers directly, I have Audio Technica m50 headphones. I was not aware of the headphone amp. Do you have any recommendations?

Also, I actually DO have the 101 book, haha. I know how to edit in Pro Tools, I'm just an idiot when it comes to the setup.
For a headphone it depends on the money you want to spend. You could go from $25 US and up; check out Sweetwater. The iMac does not have enough drive for decent headphones.

The PT101 book will give you setup tips.

Did you actually hold down the 'n' key while starting PT?

QAPLA!
Old 03-03-2014, 11:49 AM

Hi Wackjaw! Try this. First select Pro Tools Aggregate as your engine. Then open the I/O dialog and either click "Default" on each tab, or click "Option" + "Default" on any tab. This should make your internal inputs and outputs available.
iMac 21.5 - 2.7 GHz Core i5 - 8GB DDR3 - 1 TB 7200 HDD
OS X Mavericks
Alesis Q61 USB Midi Controller
Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2
-----------------------------------------------

Last edited by gwilcken; 03-04-2014 at 03:23 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilcken View Post
or click "Command" + "Default" on any tab. This should make your internal inputs and outputs available.
As far as I know, that would be the Option key plus clicking on the Default button. In this case, the Option modifier key is telling Pro Tools "apply to all"
Old 03-04-2014, 03:24 AM

Hey Mesaone! You are correct. The Option key. I am totally new to the Mac world and it will take me some time to get used to it. Thanks for setting the record straight. I stand corrected and have edited my post. Glad you have a sharp eye!
iMac 21.5 - 2.7 GHz Core i5 - 8GB DDR3 - 1 TB 7200 HDD
OS X Mavericks
Alesis Q61 USB Midi Controller
Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2
-----------------------------------------------