Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2013, 06:02 AM

Default Re: pt11 hanging

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sumich View Post
I suspect the issue is somehow related to a co-install with 10.3.6, but I am not sure exactly. Also, I should note, if you having an issue and have a co-install, make sure you are using 10.3.6 (or higher if a another dot release of 10 comes out). We have yet to see the issue in installed versions. A couple of pieces of information that may be useful...

There are two executables to be aware of. The first digiSPTIService.exe is the 32-bit version of this service. It is only meant to be working with Pro Tools 10.3.6. The other is digiSPTIService64.exe. As the 64 indicates, this is the 64-bit version of the service and only is meant to be working with Pro Tools 11. When PT launches, you should see this service started in the Processes tab of the Task Manager (which one you see depends on which version of PT you are launching). You should also see them under the Services tab of the Task Manager as well. The two states that this service can be in are Stopped and Starting. You'd think it should say Running, but it doesn't. Not sure if that is just an update bug on our part or not, but if it says Starting, it is working properly.

For anyone that is experiencing issues that they think are related to this topic, and have tried the steps in this thread already, I would suggest the following. Do a full un-install of both versions of PT. Install PT 11 by itself and verify whether the problem persists or not. If it does, we'll go from there. If it doesn't, then install 10.3.6 and see if the issue occurs again. If so. Repeat the full un-install process and start by installing 10.3.6 first this time. Check to make sure it works fine, then install PT 11 and see what result you get. Of course we have tested co-installs extensively and have not seen this behavior, but doing this may lead to some clues as to what is going on here.
Thanks for the reply. I should be able to uninstall 10.3.6 tonight and reinstall 11.0.1. I'll also have a look at the installer log if you think that's useful.

So starting is running. Except in my case it timed out. FWIW I enlisted a genuine Linux Command Line Bigot to look over my shoulder the second time I tried this. So I'm sure it was getting entered correctly.

My issue is about PT turning white and not responding then recovering and working normally for a time. Temporary lockups. I have done all the required Windows optimizations I have seen this in both 11 and 11.0.1. I have not been seeing it in 10.x

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-07-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I suspect the issue is somehow related to a co-install with 10.3.6, but I am not sure exactly. Also, I should note, if you having an issue and have a co-install, make sure you are using 10.3.6 (or higher if a another dot release of 10 comes out). We have yet to see the issue in installed versions. A couple of pieces of information that may be useful...

There are two executables to be aware of. The first digiSPTIService.exe is the 32-bit version of this service. It is only meant to be working with Pro Tools 10.3.6. The other is digiSPTIService64.exe. As the 64 indicates, this is the 64-bit version of the service and only is meant to be working with Pro Tools 11. When PT launches, you should see this service started in the Processes tab of the Task Manager (which one you see depends on which version of PT you are launching). You should also see them under the Services tab of the Task Manager as well. The two states that this service can be in are Stopped and Starting. You'd think it should say Running, but it doesn't. Not sure if that is just an update bug on our part or not, but if it says Starting, it is working properly.

For anyone that is experiencing issues that they think are related to this topic, and have tried the steps in this thread already, I would suggest the following. Do a full un-install of both versions of PT. Install PT 11 by itself and verify whether the problem persists or not. If it does, we'll go from there. If it doesn't, then install 10.3.6 and see if the issue occurs again. If so. Repeat the full un-install process and start by installing 10.3.6 first this time. Check to make sure it works fine, then install PT 11 and see what result you get. Of course we have tested co-installs extensively and have not seen this behavior, but doing this may lead to some clues as to what is going on here.

Hi,

I don't have the process digiSPTIService64.exe when I start PT11.
Neither did the process digiSPTIService.exe start when launching PT10.
Even after taking the steps described earlier in this thread.

I tried doing a complete uninstall of both PT10 and 11 and I have now re installed PT11.
That didn't make the process start when launching PT.
I can start it manually though, by right-clicking on it in the service list.
I´m always talking about PT 11.0.1 and PT 10.3.6, just to be clear about that.

But even though this process isn't started, I can't say that I have any problems with PT hanging and freezing.
I just thought that these processes are necessary for PT to run good.
But since my system seems to be running fine without them maybe they aren't really necessary?

So before I do more testing of uninstalling/reinstalling, I´d like to know if this process really is necessary to run?
What kind of problem can I run into if it don't?

Regards
Markus
Intel Core i5 2,4 GHz 8GB
Pro Tools 2018.4
Eleven Rack + Expansion pack
RME Fireface UCX

Last edited by surstromming; 08-07-2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-07-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surstromming View Post
Hi,

I don't have the process digiSPTIService64.exe when I start PT11.
Neither did the process digiSPTIService.exe start when launching PT10.
Even after taking the steps described earlier in this thread.

I tried doing a complete uninstall of both PT10 and 11 and I have now re installed PT11.
That didn't make the process start when launching PT.
I can start it manually though, by right-clicking on it in the service list.
I´m always talking about PT 11.0.1 and PT 10.3.6, just to be clear about that.

But even though this process isn't started, I can't say that I have any problems with PT hanging and freezing.
I just thought that these processes are necessary for PT to run good.
But since my system seems to be running fine without them maybe they aren't really necessary?

So before I do more testing of uninstalling/reinstalling, I´d like to know if this process really is necessary to run?
What kind of problem can I run into if it don't?

Regards
Markus
It is *not* a windows "process" it is a service. Where are you looking for this? If everything seems to be working OK why are you worrying about this? Less worrying more work....
Old 08-07-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It is *not* a windows "process" it is a service. Where are you looking for this? If everything seems to be working OK why are you worrying about this? Less worrying more work....
I know its a service.
Maybe I just used the wrong word as I wanted to tell that I don't see it running under the processes tab as David Sumich was writing "When PT launches, you should see this service started in the Processes tab of the Task Manager"

And its not running in my processes tab.
And its not "starting" in the services tab either, as he states that they should be.

Therefore I want to know what potential problems I may be running into
and at the same time give more info to Avid so that they can solve the problems others are having with this.
Pro Tools 2018.4
RME Fireface UCX
Old 08-07-2013, 10:04 AM

Right you are, all good points, my bad. You do have an optical drive in the PC? (I don't have any idea how this reacts if there is no optical drive?).
Old 08-07-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Right you are, all good points, my bad. You do have an optical drive in the PC? (I don't have any idea how this reacts if there is no optical drive?).

Yes, I have an optical drive.
Pro Tools 2018.4
RME Fireface UCX
Old 08-08-2013, 07:00 AM

This service is necessary for CD ripping on Windows. With PT 10.3.6, if the service is not running for some reason, the only side effect you will notice is no ability to rip CDs. With PT 11 however, due to the entirely new Database code, if this service is not running, you end up with these annoyingly long periodic pauses that make it impossible to really do anything. We will investigate and fix these pauses, but when things are working as they are supposed to be, you'd never see them. In other words, they are a symptom of some other problem (namely, the service not starting).

Though I've never tried it myself, the only way I could possibly imagine a situation where this service doesn't start in a normal working system is if there is no CD/DVD ROM drive. Even then, I don't know if that would cause this service to not start. Even if it did, you'd see no issues anyway, because it is specifically an issue with trying to access physical CD/DVD ROM drives.

I suppose a complete "about to pull my hair out" hack would be to just disconnect the drive. While I feel completely dirty for even having said that, it did just spark the notion in my mind that I wonder if this is a hardware compatibility issue with specific CD/DVD ROM drives. Maybe that is what we can try to explore next?
--------------------
We're only immortal for a limited time
Old 08-08-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
This service is necessary for CD ripping on Windows. With PT 10.3.6, if the service is not running for some reason, the only side effect you will notice is no ability to rip CDs. With PT 11 however, due to the entirely new Database code, if this service is not running, you end up with these annoyingly long periodic pauses that make it impossible to really do anything. We will investigate and fix these pauses, but when things are working as they are supposed to be, you'd never see them. In other words, they are a symptom of some other problem (namely, the service not starting).

Though I've never tried it myself, the only way I could possibly imagine a situation where this service doesn't start in a normal working system is if there is no CD/DVD ROM drive. Even then, I don't know if that would cause this service to not start. Even if it did, you'd see no issues anyway, because it is specifically an issue with trying to access physical CD/DVD ROM drives.

I suppose a complete "about to pull my hair out" hack would be to just disconnect the drive. While I feel completely dirty for even having said that, it did just spark the notion in my mind that I wonder if this is a hardware compatibility issue with specific CD/DVD ROM drives. Maybe that is what we can try to explore next?

Thanks for the reply David!

Well I have a CD/DVD drive, and those services aren´t running/starting.
But my system is running fine. And for that i am happy!

I will post some other info here, that might help i some way maybe.

When I first started to use PT11 I had some small pauses when hitting record. Not nearly as bad as some other user I´ve seen on the video he posted.
Just a second or two. And then it ran smoothly.

I then noticed that my old floppy drive was making some noise every time I hit record. So I disabeled that in BIOS, and the problem went away.
I really don´t need that drive so thats no problem.

But your idea of disconnecting the CD/DVD drive might be worth trying for those who have problems.

Best regards!
Markus
Pro Tools 2018.4
RME Fireface UCX
Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 AM

Markus, a simple experiment for you...if you can rip red-book audio from a CD in Pro Tools (via the Import Audio dialog), then that service is in fact running. There is no two ways about it. Give that a try. You won't see it in the Processes tab if you don't have "Show process from all users" checked either. If you can't rip red-book audio, then there is something wrong with the service starting.
--------------------
We're only immortal for a limited time
Old 08-08-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Markus, a simple experiment for you...if you can rip red-book audio from a CD in Pro Tools (via the Import Audio dialog), then that service is in fact running. There is no two ways about it. Give that a try. You won't see it in the Processes tab if you don't have "Show process from all users" checked either. If you can't rip red-book audio, then there is something wrong with the service starting.
Ok, I'll try that.
I have checked "Show process from all users" though

Regards!
Markus
Pro Tools 2018.4
RME Fireface UCX