Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2011, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 XPAND2 No Sounds?

Hey Lads,
This problem was driving me mad...no plug-ins!!!
I was desperately shifting files around and then when I put them in /Applications/Avid/Pro Tools/Plug-Ins they finally came up in the Insert menu.
It seems PT10 looks for the plug-ins in that folder!
Best of luck!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzzman View Post
ok, i finally figured out the problem!! Or I should say, the solution........
After my session started I Inactivated then Activated the Xpand2 instrument and sure enough, up popped the prompt to point to the Xpand2.Big file!!!-------
Avid advice:
Create a new session.
Create a new stereo track.
Insert Xpand2 on the track.
If Xpand2 opens with no patches and does not ask you to locate it's content right click on Xpand2 in the inert and choose to make it inactive. Right click on Xpand2 again and make it active again. This should bring up the request to locate the Xpand2.big file.

When Xpand2 asks you to locate the Xpand2.big file ....
Best regards,
Avid/Digidesign Technical Support
Well, no dice. I've followed the instructions, but Xpand does not allow me to direct it to sound files: I've uninstalled and reinstalled the instruments package several times, started new sessions, inserted and then deactivated Xpand and reactivated ... no dice.

Petter
Old 01-25-2012, 03:21 AM

Now it works!

I uninstalled pro tools completely and when reinstalling the virtual instruments, I realized that THERE ARE TWO FILES COMPETING FOR ATTENTION IN THE FOLDER: "virtual instruments setup" and "virtual instruments". Both look to be doing the same thing (but perhaps do not in fact do so), so if I click on the blue digidesign-logoed "Virtual instruments setup", the software starts installing. Everything looks fine except I cannot get any sounds from Xpand. BUT there's a less official-looking "Virtual instruments" (installer) file there, too. When I installed using this latter installer only, without then clicking the virtual instruments setup icon at all afterwards, pro tools DID (when opening Xpand) prompt me to look for the "big" folder. Works.

So, if you have the above-described problem, do check which file you've used for installation ...

best,

Petter
Old 02-06-2012, 01:19 PM

Hi Petter/Korkman, and the rest of the DUC.

Unfortunately, I am having the same issue with Xpand2 in PT10 (brand new and old sessions). I can open Xpand as an insert on a mono instrument track, and I can select the presets from the top dropdown menu, but then nothing happens and I have no sounds from Xpand.

I have tried everything I can think of (un-install/re-install, downloading new versions of the software from avid, etc), but no luck. I also tried Petter's trick with the install.

SYSTEM
Win 7 64bit, i7, 12gigs ddr31600 ram, 1 system drive and 1 internal recording, and 1 internal backup drive, iLok licensed PT10 (upgrade from PT9), Digi 002r, T1 firewire SIIG card (the avid recommended card), Gigabyte ga-x58a-ud5 Motherboard, GeForce GT 440 1 gig graphics card.

PT10 and everything else (plugins, etc) seems to be working fine.

Any further advice and support would be greatly appreciated. I've had to cancel several days of sessions already. I'm losing hope.

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:59 AM

AN here am I about to quit recording cos of ill health and PT with PT 10 is working sweet at long last. Its much better than 9 though I did have 9 working too. I think you will find if you install with the 10.0.1 updater that all will be well as they have fixed these kind of problems at last.
Best
F
Old 02-23-2012, 04:06 AM

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I'm having the same issue after moving to Pro Tools 10 from 9.

Xpand has no presets. After searching the forum I believe the problem is that Xpand needs to be pointed to the Xpand!.big file. But I can't get Xpand to pop open the dialog box asking me where it is.

Is there a regsistry setting that can be set to point to the file?

Last night I uninstalled Avid Virtual Instruments and reinstalled, but same thing. No presets.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:39 AM

Thumbs up Re: Pro Tools 10 XPAND2 No Sounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimst57 View Post
Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I'm having the same issue after moving to Pro Tools 10 from 9.

Xpand has no presets. After searching the forum I believe the problem is that Xpand needs to be pointed to the Xpand!.big file. But I can't get Xpand to pop open the dialog box asking me where it is.

Is there a regsistry setting that can be set to point to the file?

Last night I uninstalled Avid Virtual Instruments and reinstalled, but same thing. No presets.
Hi , what you need to do is open open the .zip file of the Avid Instruments Installer and extract all of the files into a folder. By Default your computer will not show HIDDEN files if its a fresh install of windows or OSX. Go to view options and make you sure you "SHOW HIDDEN FILES" run the install that is the .MSI files not the .EXE that contains the words "Avid Instrument Setup" once you run this as a FRESH INSTALL, meaning delete your previous installation first. Open protools and you'll get the dialog box to point the Program Files/ Avid / Avid Instruments/Xpand.big. It worked perfect for me but I'm having a problem with the output of the sounds. It'll play for a second and then stop. I have to DE-activate and re-activate Xpand 2 just to get it to work for a few more seconds. it sucks but hopefully someone can get back to me with that part.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilos20 View Post
Hi , what you need to do is open open the .zip file of the Avid Instruments Installer and extract all of the files into a folder. By Default your computer will not show HIDDEN files if its a fresh install of windows or OSX. Go to view options and make you sure you "SHOW HIDDEN FILES" run the install that is the .MSI files not the .EXE that contains the words "Avid Instrument Setup" once you run this as a FRESH INSTALL, meaning delete your previous installation first. Open protools and you'll get the dialog box to point the Program Files/ Avid / Avid Instruments/Xpand.big. It worked perfect for me but I'm having a problem with the output of the sounds. It'll play for a second and then stop. I have to DE-activate and re-activate Xpand 2 just to get it to work for a few more seconds. it sucks but hopefully someone can get back to me with that part.
I'll try this when I get home tonight. Thanks. When I uninstalled/installed last night, I did use the .exe file not the .msi file.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:11 PM

That worked! Thanks.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:14 PM

Thumbs up Re: Pro Tools 10 XPAND2 No Sounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimst57 View Post
That worked! Thanks.
Awesome man! Let me know if your sound quits after a few seconds of playing. I have a session with Xpand2 and now it loads but the audio stops working out of Xpand2 after a few seconds of playing, either playback or even midi playing it just stops. I have to disable and renable just to get it play but it doesn't even play for long.