Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2014, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Connecting MIDI controller properly to PT 11

So it seems I am not the idiot I was assuming myself to be as a newbie after all!! I think the best thing I could have done was purchase ALL my equipment from Sweetwater.com!! I just got off the phone with a PT technician and he was able to take over my iMac desktop via their 'Team Viewer' and click around on his own to do the troubleshooting! He was unable to fix this problem and said it must be a comparability issue with the discontinued Q61 and my new version of PT and iMac. He is now contacting Alesis on this issue and gonna get back to me tomorrow or the next day. I may need to return this keyboard and get a different one (which I was going to do after a while anyways). I will keep you all posted.

I really appreciate everyone's awesome help! :)

Dawn
Old 05-28-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilcken View Post
Hey Glen! Thanks for the vote of confidence. I agree, it may not be the most efficient work flow process, but if like me, you are not a keyboard player (I am a guitarist) you can get away with it in ProTools. The way I figure it is if they didn't want me to do it that way, they would not allow it in the program! Not only that, but it separates the MIDI from the VI and allows you to troubleshoot each element individually so you can get to the root cause of the issue which is why I opened my big mouth in the first place!
I am also a guitarist!!! Black-Metal... ;-)
Old 05-28-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilcken View Post
Hey Glen! Thanks for the vote of confidence. I agree, it may not be the most efficient work flow process, but if like me, you are not a keyboard player (I am a guitarist) you can get away with it in ProTools. The way I figure it is if they didn't want me to do it that way, they would not allow it in the program! Not only that, but it separates the MIDI from the VI and allows you to troubleshoot each element individually so you can get to the root cause of the issue which is why I opened my big mouth in the first place!
Sounds good, I am a guitarist and also a drummer. Those are my two main instruments and I've toured in bands playing both. I do what you do as well eg. Recording the bass and treble parts of a piano on seperate midi tracks. It's great when you want to adjust the velocity of only the bass notes or certain parts of the track. I am a hack at keys and can come up with parts that I require help from pro tools in getting them acceptable. I also have a v drum setup and most times after a live drum take I will select/split notes to their own track for easier fixing.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AanoNin View Post
I am also a guitarist!!! Black-Metal... ;-)
Nice I was drummer in a death metal band a long time ago. We liked to take influence from Carcass and At the gates, Dismember etc...

Btw, I got the m audio keystation 49es recently when my axiom died and needed a cheapie. It feels so much better than the alesis qx61 that I tried at guitar center.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:54 AM

Hi Dawn, That is odd. I am running the latest version of IOS (Mavericks) and have no problem with the Alesis Q64 at all. I did not do anything unusual to get it to work either. I just plugged it in and it appeared in the MIDI set up section of the OS? I did not realize it was a discontinued unit, but bang for the buck, it was the best deal I could find on a 61 key controller. I hope you can get it resolved quickly and if not, good luck on acquiring a replacement unit. Keep us all filled in!
iMac 21.5 - 2.7 GHz Core i5 - 8GB DDR3 - 1 TB 7200 HDD
OS X Mavericks
Alesis Q61 USB Midi Controller
Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2
-----------------------------------------------
Old 06-12-2014, 12:27 PM

I have just heard back from my very awesome Sweetwater tech and he tells me that the Alesis Q61 is now discontinued and will not work with PT 11. They have sent me a postage paid return label and they will give me a refund so I may purchase a new controller keyboard! This was a lot of hectic trouble, but I am glad the situation is resolved and figured out!! :)

Thanks for all the wonderful help here.... always appreciated! :)

Dawn

George.. yes, this seems very strange indeed since it works fine for you! I have no idea!! LOL
Old 06-12-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AanoNin View Post
I have just heard back from my very awesome Sweetwater tech and he tells me that the Alesis Q61 is now discontinued and will not work with PT 11. They have sent me a postage paid return label and they will give me a refund so I may purchase a new controller keyboard! This was a lot of hectic trouble, but I am glad the situation is resolved and figured out!! :)

Thanks for all the wonderful help here.... always appreciated! :)

Dawn

George.. yes, this seems very strange indeed since it works fine for you! I have no idea!! LOL
Try connecting the Q61 by way of traditional 5 pin MIDI connectors and see how it works before you send it back.

QAPLA!