Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2015, 12:27 PM

Default Recording 2 different patches on same track?

Hi - Is it possible to record two different (preset) patches from the same virtual instrument on one PT track?

I tried using the MidiMerge function, which works for recording, say, a kick and a snare on the same track without the second recording over the first.

However, I'm trying to record two different synth patches from the same VI (one in the song intro, one a bit later in the song), just to save using a separate track for each). When I play back, the second recording keeps the first (intro) recording's patch.

Hope that's clear!

Thanks.
bb

Last edited by briaboy; 08-16-2015 at 12:48 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 08-16-2015, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Recording 2 different patches on same track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by briaboy View Post
Hi - Is it possible to record two different (preset) patches from the same virtual instrument on one PT track?

I tried using the MidiMerge function, which works for recording, say, a kick and a snare on the same track without the second recording over the first.

However, I'm trying to record two different synth patches from the same VI (one in the song intro, one a bit later in the song), just to save using a separate track for each). When I play back, the second recording keeps the first (intro) recording's patch.

Hope that's clear!

Thanks.
bb
You need to insert a MIDI patch change when you want a different patch. Google is your friend for the rest of the explanation.

QAPLA!
Old 08-16-2015, 03:51 PM

Sorry, but Google is no help whatsoever, just a lot of different and often incoherent speculation when I type in "pro tools midi patch change"!

Anyone willing to walk me through this? How do I change the midi patch sound midway through a track - same instrument, change the patch, on the same track.

Thanks!

bb
Old 08-17-2015, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but Google is no help whatsoever, just a lot of different and often incoherent speculation when I type in "pro tools midi patch change"!

Anyone willing to walk me through this? How do I change the midi patch sound midway through a track - same instrument, change the patch, on the same track.

Thanks!

bb
I already gave you a piece of the puzzle and that was to put in a program change on the MIDI or Instrument track you're using to trigger the synth/vi. Also told you how to find the rest but a good search depends on the parameters you put ion the search term.

Try it without putting in 'pro tools' to the search term. You'll get plenty of good answers. Here's a link to just one I found in about 10 minutes of going through what Google found; there's plenty more - you just have to take the time to read and understand.

http://www.nortonmusic.com/midi_cc.html

This and a good working knowledge of MIDI will help you in the long run. MIDI can be complicated if you let it be that way.

QAPLA!
Old 08-17-2015, 06:36 AM

This isn't a test - I don't want you to give me a "piece of a puzzle", I need some constructive and focused assistance with a technical issue. For instance, when some one asks "how do I insert a program change", it is usual/normal to reply with "1. Do this, 2. Do this, etc. Until the procedure works. Not drip feeding "clues" in some infantile manner.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
This isn't a test - I don't want you to give me a "piece of a puzzle", I need some constructive and focused assistance with a technical issue. For instance, when some one asks "how do I insert a program change", it is usual/normal to reply with "1. Do this, 2. Do this, etc. Until the procedure works. Not drip feeding "clues" in some infantile manner.
First, read this:

"Hi Jack! Thanks for taking the time to help. I realize you're not paid to do so and are just trying to be helpful, so I hope you'll bear with me when I tell you that I need more help.

I don't seem to know enough about how this works to either figure it out on my own or find what I need via Google. Do you have time to walk me through how to do this in Pro Tools step by step?"

Now, read what you wrote.

Which do you think is more likely to elicit a helpful response?

What you wrote gives the impression that you think you're ENTITLED to a detailed tutorial from other users. People tend to be put off by that kind of attitude.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:55 AM

I do not feel entitled, I just expect some constructive and targeted response (no matter how detailed or not), not a game of clues.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
I gave you enough to get you started. You never said until now that you want a step-by-step procedure. I'm trying to get you to learn to help yourself instead of being spoon-fed material. Really - what you're asking is basic material that with a little Google search that will reap you great rewards. And once you learn how to figure out the answer to something simple like this you can apply the search methodology to any problem you encounter.

I'm reminded of the old adage:
Give a person a fish and you feed him for a meal. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. I'm trying to teach you how to fish.

I'll feed you this one time.
Open the event list and call up the MIDI or Instrument track you want to work with.
Insert a program change message with the patch you want at measure one
Insert a program change message with the patch you want where you want the next sound to sound (be aware that on some vi's this might not be instantaneous
Done

Be aware that not all vi's respond directly to program change messages. Don't ask me to tell you what those are because there are way too many out there to keep track of. For some you have to go through gyrations endemic to that specific vi (NI Massive is just one). Also be aware that not all vi's present their patch names to PT; you just have to work with patch and bank numbers. Like I keep saying Google is your friend to figure out the rest.

End of meal.

QAPLA!
Old 08-17-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post
First, read this:

"Hi Jack! Thanks for taking the time to help. I realize you're not paid to do so and are just trying to be helpful, so I hope you'll bear with me when I tell you that I need more help.

I don't seem to know enough about how this works to either figure it out on my own or find what I need via Google. Do you have time to walk me through how to do this in Pro Tools step by step?"

Now, read what you wrote.

Which do you think is more likely to elicit a helpful response?

What you wrote gives the impression that you think you're ENTITLED to a detailed tutorial from other users. People tend to be put off by that kind of attitude.
Exactly. One of the problems I run into here is not knowing what level of knowledge a person has when asking a question. Some come right out and say they're newbies or know nothing about the subject and that I have no problem with going into detail. And their have been some where I've gone into a detailed explanation and they rake me over the coals saying this is not their first rodeo (even though it becomes evident later on they don't really know all they think they know). I'm not a mind reader.

QAPLA!
Old 08-17-2015, 09:53 AM

Thanks you for this. I'll give your suggestions a try. They look very useful.

However, I should point out that none of us are on this forum to "teach". We are not self-appointed teachers. We are here to help out - if we so wish - with some technical issues for some people, nothing more. That's why I'm here, that's what I try to do. I ask for suggestions, and I give suggestions, within the parameters and confines of my own abilities and experience, what else can one do?

respectfully,

bb