Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2002, 11:09 PM

Default Transfering from PT to RADAR..help

Anyone transfered from Ptools to Radar? Is this going to have to be done as audio or is there some kind of file conversion available? my understanding is that the RADAR system is proprietary...Thanks for any help.
Old 02-14-2002, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Transfering from PT to RADAR..help

The Radar 2 has AES

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 02-15-2002, 06:44 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by craig zarkos:
Anyone transfered from Ptools to Radar? Is this going to have to be done as audio or is there some kind of file conversion available? my understanding is that the RADAR system is proprietary...Thanks for any help.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the answer to your question is no. There is no way to just move audio files to the RADAR. To transfer, you need to print all of your tracks via the analog or digital inputs on the RADAR. (TDIF is standard, some have an AES or ADAT option card installed.) If they don't have the ADAT option (or if you don't have an ADAT bridge) then you are going to need a format converter. (UFC, FS96...)

Hope that helped...

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2002, 07:11 AM

Hey Craig - I go between Radar & PT pretty often… there's no direct file conversion available yet, but some folks are working on it.

The Radar (I assume you mean 24 bit Radar2) comes stock w/2 channel AES (XLR) ports. You can lock the machines up (LTC chase) & do 2 tracks at a time over multiple passes if you don't have too many tracks to get across. Just be sure to use good 110-ohm digital wire (Apogee, Mogami, Canare, etc), not a mic cable.

For multi-track digital transfers (up to 24 at a whack) Radar can have either an AES card or a TDIF card. All the machines I've seen here in Nashville are fitted with TDIF cards.

To transfer larger track counts, I rent an Otari Universal Format Converter, supplied w/cables… go AES out of the 888's to the UFC (select AES in), then TDIF out to Radar, also Word Sync out of the UFC (near TDIF connectors) to Dig I/O word clock In on Radar. Have PT chase Radar via USD (XLR line Radar LTC out to USD LTC in; USD clock to internal… LTC or Word Clock can also work, depending on system configuration; USD positional ref to LTC).

On the UFC, set Input to AES, then select Output & make sure in & out sample rates are correct, as well as Emphasis (select no); select Output to exit.

Make sure your Radar project is the same sample rate/bit depth as the PT session you're transferring from. On the Radar (software v 2.52), select "dig I/O" > "all tracks"; then select "sync" > "TDIF" > "TDIF in L/R" > "TC Ref Internal" > "1-24 Framing Ref L/R in 1-8". Put PT transport "online", arm Radar tracks, & control both machines via the Radar. Make sure you're listening to Radar's outputs, to know if you're getting any digital snaps… digital transfers are wonderful when they go well, and an absolute PITA when you're getting clocking errors. Some of these settings may vary with different Radar software versions… keep trying options until the audio's clean. Good luck!

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 02-15-2002, 09:45 AM

Craig-

The guys from Digital Audio Miracles are about to release a conversion software that will convert Otari Radar I, II, and iZ Radar 24 filesd to SDII. The product is called DAMSEL and their page says the price will be $749. They say the release is this month, so I expect it will be up any day now. IT also says Version 2 will have bi-directionality (SDII to Radar). Looks like it will be exactly what you're looking for.

PT Cruiser [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2002, 10:13 AM

We are still in beta testing for the new version of RADAR 24 software to allow first for transfer to PT. I have been testing it and it works fine. I am not allowed to disclose any particulars due to a NDA regarding beta testers. But it is public knowledge that it is part of 3.10. The import back to RADAR will hopefully come later. The difference in this and Damsel is that this involves BWF(broadcast wave file) instead of SDII. SDII is limited to 48K. The BWF's are time-stamped and then can be dropped into PT.

Not sure how much longer testing will be before it is released. I think at this time it is only for RADAR 24. Not sure about RADAR II's for future since they are still at 2.52.

Just wanted to let you know.
www.classicrecording.com