Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2022, 11:19 AM

Default Re: PT 2022 release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
What a beautiful piece of website programming.
Aesthetics, efficiency, usefulness.
Thank you.
You're welcome. If you see any errors, or are aware of anything that is missing, feel free to DM me.
Old 04-14-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The story is wilder than that. So many Digidesign people took on roles at Avid that it looked like Digidesign had really taken over Avid.
Perhaps initially. It's not uncommon after an acquisition to allow the acquired company to operate as normal -- to ease the transition and to learn how they operate -- and then begin making changes. That's what happend with Digi/Avid, too. The Digi feel started to disappear. But honestly, it wasn't until several years later that ProTools began feeling corporatized, after certain CEOs were hired to steer the boat toward profits, CEOs known for short-term, profit-focused/customer-negligent, business plans.
Old 04-15-2022, 08:21 AM

I mean Digidesign people who moved to Boston taking top management positions over both Media Composer and Pro Tools. It really was a merger and not simply an acquisition.

The corporatization happened after the 2007 recession bankrupted a huge percentage of Digidesign's dealers and a lot of the old Digidesign management disappeared. That said, the current CEO came from elsewhere in the television production software business. I think things have improved a great deal. Stability and compatibility seem to be being put ahead of new bells and whistles.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
As long as I can work every day, the timing of updates is very low on my 'things to stress over' list.
This is how I feel as well.

I have a UAD card and recently, as I'm sure most know, they switched some plugins over to native. I saw about 40 facebook posts about being able to run 100 instances of x, y and z from people doing all kinds of tests.

In theory that's good information I suppose but I don't really care about tests, I care about the stability of my system and how it's running.

I don't have a fancy PT setup (M1 Mini and HD-Native card) but it works extremely well for what I do and I have very little downtime.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 04-15-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
In theory that's good information I suppose but I don't really care about tests, I care about the stability of my system and how it's running.
That's true, of course, but it's the nature of an engineer's brain to gather facts and theories, and then obsess over them.
Old 04-15-2022, 03:43 PM

I would like to know why we make so many excuses for AVID?
Is it because we have to justify our annual costs and don't want to think about how bad this business model really is? Even if there are alternatives right in front of us?
I think AVID relies on our minds, that think PT is the industry standard and we don't want to look left and right, because it would be an effort to learn a different system.
But when we see the arrogance how AVID is acting, it not good and I feel not supported. It's just business.

Cheers
Maik
Old 04-15-2022, 08:25 PM

[QUOTE=marsian;2633286]I would like to know why we make so many excuses for AVID?
Is it because we have to justify our annual costs and don't want to think about how bad this business model really is? Even if there are alternatives right in front of us?
I think AVID relies on our minds, that think PT is the industry standard and we don't want to look left and right, because it would be an effort to learn a different system.
But when we see the arrogance how AVID is acting, it not good and I feel not supported. It's just business. /QUOTE]

^This^

After several years of stops and starts, I'm digging in with Reaper. My Ultimate subscription is up in July and I've turned off the auto renew. It's no longer worth it to me and I've been archiving old projects and transferring current ones into Reaper. I may go in on a vanilla sub if I get jittery as July approaches, but as of now, I don't see myself needing it. I can bring my iLok from the office when I work from home in a pinch.

I've started doing small Post projects in Reaper and I'm finding it refreshing. I also have Nuendo as a fall back. Both DAW's have their quirks, but learning them has forced me to examine my workflow and modify it accordingly.

Avid is no longer only game in town, and while they still sit atop large production stages in Hollywood, the rest of the world has plenty of options. Wav files and PT's key commands can go anywhere and into any program. That's the new reality that Avid refuses to face.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X

Last edited by grayter1; 04-16-2022 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:59 AM

Yeah, I got studio one recently too, although I've been slow to switch over..I bought a reinstatement at Christmas for a few years time too, so as soon as my current year is up I won't be going any further with it..
Click back in for a year in about 5 years time and I'll be done..I may have given avid the last cent I'll give them, except I'm considering getting a sibelius perpetual license..dorico might clinch it though..