Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2019, 01:33 PM

Default Recent MacBook Pro Keyboard Repairs

A reminder that if like me, you are having keyboard issues with recent MBP Apple has an extended replacement program running. https://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-...ok-pro-lineup/

In my case a couple of keys on my 2016 Macbook Pro 15" were getting "soft" and one arrow key would sit low with almost no movement in it at times.

I asked in person an my local Apple store and they had the replacement board in stock and said they could have it done by the next day afternoon. Mmm pretty compelling, then they told me that the keyboard assembly included all new batteries since they were glued together, so hey where do I sign...

I have the MacBook Pro back and the keyboard feels much better. The tech at the Apple store said my replacement keyboard uses the original 2016 butterfly keyboard switches, whereas the article above says they are redesigned. Not sure who is right. They sure feel better than they did recently.

---

But not so fast... somehow the fingerprint ID reader broke when they did this, the Apple staff noticed that and tried to fix it, but now that has to be replaced... and in the 2016 MBP a replacement fingerprint ID reader assembly is only available paired with a new motherboard. So it's going back in a few days to get a new motherboard, free from Apple. Apple apparently fixed this fingerprint ID reader pairing/replacement stupidity in later MacBook Pros. I'd be furious if I was having to pay out of my pocket for a new motherboard just to get the separate fingerprint ID reader working.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Recent MacBook Pro Keyboard Repairs

Glad you're not paying for this other than time and cost of gas for the car.

Your saga reminds me of the line Scotty used in Star Trek The Search for Spock when stealing the Enterprise in response to hobbling the Excelsior: "The more they overthink the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain"

QAPLA!