Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Protools 8 New look, old look! Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer View Post
I don't know how many are discussing this..but i would prefer the selection to be brighter not darker! in nuendo that is the case. it makes NO sense do darken what you are trying to look at!
I 100% agree. I want to see detail.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer View Post
I don't know how many are discussing this..but i would prefer the selection to be brighter not darker! in nuendo that is the case. it makes NO sense do darken what you are trying to look at!
as matter of fact it does make sense.... Especially, if you look at it thru' a monitor.

What makes NO sense at all, is to light up a whole monitor in WHITE to portray ONE BLACK letter.

It would make more sense to have the screen ALL dark and semi-light the dark letter you wish to portray.

You may think you are right, but so does 300.000 icelanders when stating that they have a lot of sun. They think they do, but compared to a californian, all they got is a potential for selling umbrellas
Old 01-23-2009, 02:27 AM

Reading through this thread i am in slight disbelief of the anger of some users over the new GUI. To me it looks great and after just 2 days of cruising with it i feel at home like never before. Darker is def easier on the yes in a long run. I think skins would be a terrible idea. Customizable key commands and skins are the greatest curse of all times (nice exageration). Seriously, if you work in many different studios nothing is better than having 1 software that looks and reacts the same everywhere you go. Most of my fellow composers or producers use Logic or Live but working on each others systems is always a nightmare because everybody has their own Logic key commands, same goes for skins in Live.

Breath in deeply and embrace the future of sequencing and editing.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by automa View Post
To me it looks great and after just 2 days of cruising with it i feel at home like never before. Darker is def easier on the yes in a long run.
Right

Quote:
Customizable key commands ... are the greatest curse of all times (nice exageration).
Wrong.

Power programs like Logic, Aperture and many many other programs use customizable key commands. ProTools is going to too someday, mark my words right here and now.

Like MS DOS, London and Rome, the PT key commands are have been build up over a great deal of time into a VERY Frankensteinish thing going on now. If you were to redesign them from scratch with no concern for historical locations, PT key commands and keyboard focuses would absolutely be totally different...and that's really the way they should be for all of the new users Digi will be getting with PT8 and beyond. Why submit them to the chaos and illogical layout of the current key commands just for the sake of all of the legacy users? It's important and it's unfair. Of course the legacy users would go ballistic if Digi changed them, so of course they'd have a way to switch between old and new. It's really what needs to be done. Counter-intuitive design drives me crazy. I've been using Quickeys to customize the many central PT key commands with letters or locations on the keyboard that are un-ergonomic or simply make no sense whatsoever for 18 months now and I work soooo much faster.

The way to deal with multiple users, like I said, is to have a Classic key command option. For you customizable key command group, carry you're PT prefs file with your commands with you on a USB pen drive, hard drive, server, in your online email account etc etc etc. Keep an alias of the prefs folder next to the PT prefs file so you don't have to dig down to the prefs folder every where you go.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
The ways to deal with multiple users, like I said, is to have a Classic key command option and for you customizable command group, carry you're PT prefs file with your commands with you on a USB pen drive, hard drive, server, in your online email account etc etc etc. Keep an alias of the prefs folder next to the PT prefs file so you don't have to dig down to the prefs folder every where you go.
I personally don't want to carry around my prefs in order to work on another system. I have invested in a color coded PT keyboard 6 years ago and never regretted once spending a whopping 350 dollars for a stupid plastic keyboard. I'd rather carry that than dealing with concerned studio techs if you mess with their system config. Customizing key commands doesn't make sense for me. Imagine having to switch between cars that have their controls (clutch, throttle, steering etc.) all in different places. Makes no sense at all. Accidents are bound to happen like that.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:46 AM

I agree that customizable key commands would be going way too far, and I doubt Digi will ever do such a thing. There are several reasons why PT is the de-facto industry standard, and uniformity of operation is a major one. I like automa's car analogy.

I would also apply the car analogy to skins. Would you suddenly be unable to operate a vehicle if it was painted red instead of grey? How hard would it be to download "classic look version 6" or carry it with you on your keychain? Also nobody would have their arm twisted to play with the colors for 3 hours a day as somebody else in this thread suggested. Another person referred to skins as "cheap" - I don't understand how the option of changing (or not changing) the look of your GUI could be considered "cheap".

Finally, after using 8 both at home and at work, I want to +1 those of us who have had absolutely no problems with the new color scheme (and perhaps are not posting in here because we're too busy WORKING ). The new selection format is still an issue, but the colors are a huge improvement over 7.

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia
Old 01-23-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I personally don't want to carry around my prefs in order to work on another system.
You wouldn't have to. You'd simply choose the "classic" setting and you're done. The folks that would like custom key commands (like me) would be the ones carrying a usb key. For the...ahem..."legacy" folks nothing would change. Just how they like it...hehe.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang1970 View Post
I would also apply the car analogy to skins. Would you suddenly be unable to operate a vehicle if it was painted red instead of grey?
No, but if suddenly all street signs would be individually colored and not normed it would be a bloody mess to find your way around or to put the signs in the right category (danger, directions etc.) as you drive by.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:49 AM

I don't think customizable key commands is necessary at all.

Keeping it simpler is better for most people and for nuts like me, we have QuicKeys which does travel with me.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Produceher View Post
I don't think customizable key commands is necessary at all.

Keeping it simpler is better for most people and for nuts like me, we have QuicKeys which does travel with me.
I dont know what I would do without Quickeys.

Have a cool tip for you kenny in case you use QK on several CPUs.

www.getdropbox.com

I use QK on many CPUs but now I can sync the QK shortcuts instantly on all platforms. That way I have my keys on all computers I have

Oh, the application and services on dropbox are free