Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2008, 04:29 PM

Default SSL emulation for URS CSP

If you are using the URS Channel Strip Pro and would like some settings that emulate the Waves SSL G plug-in, download this .rar file:

http://globalgraffiti.com/ftp2/URS_SSLG

Notes:

The URS_SSLG folder in the .rar file contains settings files (.tfx) for the URS Channel Strip Pro. These settings were constructed to be very close in character to the Waves SSL G Channel plug-in pre-sets for drums, bass and vocals. Why did I do this? I don’t know. I guess just for fun more than anything. I find the result to be is pretty satisfying, though, and perhaps you will too.

FYI, I don't think the Waves software is necessarily better than the URS. They are both very high quality plug-ins. On the one hand, the URS excels in its versatility. It’s a Swiss Army knife of hardware emulations, and I love it! (plus it's half the price of the Waves software)

On the other hand, the Waves SSL plug excels in its singularity. It’s not incredibly versatile, and it’s definitely “colored”, but that color is a very pleasing and faithful rendering of the original hardware, it's very easy to use, plus, the gate is really a work of art!

A couple of caveats:

1. Unfortunately, that excellent gate found in the SSL plug is, of course, not available in the URS CSP (hint, hint, URS!), but some kind of gate is essential if you really want that SSL sound. So, don’t forget to insert a good one next in your signal path.

2. I’m using CSP version 1.1.0.2 in PT 8 in Windows. I don’t know how these settings will work in any other version of URS CSP, or how they’ll work on a Mac based system.

How to apply the settings files:

1. Open the .rar file and copy the entire URS_SSLG folder to your plug-in settings folder. On my Windows system, the correct folder is found on the following path

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\Plug-In Settings\URS Strip Pro

2. After you’ve opened your DAW and inserted an instance of URS CSP, click on the pre-set drop down menu at the top middle of the plug-in interface (Not the one labeled “Preset”, but the one labeled “<factory default>”), then click on the URS_SSLG folder.

That’s it. Have fun! Let me know if you like the settings. If you don’t, keep it to yourself :)

Skip Adams
[email protected]