Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2003, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Quote:
I'll have to post some Tic Goo style
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I thought I brushed up on the different type of swamp music dialect's.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:38 AM

Archtop,
Tic Goo is a very unique and not well known style
and I am so sorry about your cornfusion.

I will post a clip of it later.

Swap
Old 07-08-2003, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Mac Mixes!!!!!!!!

2 newest songs at the top.
Audio Page
Old 07-08-2003, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain_Pants:
Please Me, the only one I grabbed from BRBs list, just because it had the words "Dance-Pop". I think this is a catchy song. Jackson, there is something about the vocals that seems like they might be upped a notch too high...this could be attributed to the MP3 quality, which at 128 sometimes tends to slosh the drums into a mush, then expose the vocal really well. Ive noticed this on my own 128 mp3s, which are also somewhat dancy and darker.

Very good though. I know this isnt your style of music either right? Nice production though. Did you write this music too or was it Glenda Langevin? If you ever want to do any collaborative stuff, I would love to use you for your vocals or something.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Capn'

Thanks for listening! The vocals were a little loud (at the client's request), but I've since done a mix (not yet posted) with the doubled vox down lower, and I feel the voice "sits" much better in the mix. I agree with you on the MP3 thing as well.

You are correct, dance/techno is not my cup of tea, nor is it my bread and butter in the studio, but it's king of fun to play around with. I had no part in writing the song, that was all Glenda, who also writes country, pop, etc. She came to the studio with a series of sequenced parts in her keyboard including the piano, bassline, and a few blips ans blurps, and had a session singer lay down the vocals. I added most of the loops, the wah gtr part, and fuzz bass melody line in the chorus.

Just let me know if you ever want to collaborate. My schedule has been a little crazy, but I've always had fun cyber tracking with my fellow DUCkies! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If you (or anyone else) gets a chance, please give the other tracks a spin.

Thanks!!!

The Dimes - AAA Rock
"Oxygen"

Scott MacGill - AAA Rock
"Small Comfort"

Glenda Langevin - Dance Pop
"Please Me"

BigRedButton / Jackson Jackson
www.jacksonbjackson.com
Old 07-08-2003, 10:39 AM

BRB,
Hey,I like Small Comfort. It's got a nice feel
to it. When he sings the words
'as I make my way back home' there is a pause there where I imagined a saxophone coming in from the background making it a little more haunting. Also maybe a muted trumpet could be used. Are you hearing this too?
Then near the end the sax could trail off with a solo.
Just an idea, don't hit me.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaphappy:
Just an idea, don't hit me.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LOL!

A muted trumpet solo is a great idea, and I just so happen to have a great trumpet player at my disposal! Actually you can hear his handywork in the song by The Dimes.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm really going to try to make that happen!

jbj

BigRedButton / Jackson Jackson
www.jacksonbjackson.com
Old 07-08-2003, 11:14 AM

Ok BRB,

How soon will it be ready?

Juuuuuust kidding.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:58 PM

Leaving The Station MP3 Download Page

Leaving The Station is a piece composed of what was originally 2 1/2 hours of random recorded nonsense. The audio is my sister and I playing around with all kinds of random instruments/noise makers, and was recorded in an old warehouse-turned-storage facility.

The acoustics were so nice that its hard to believe that we recorded through my old iBook's built in mic, directly into Peak!

I went through and pulled samples from the raw audio, cleaned them up as best I could, and then arranged the samples until I liked what I heard.

I originally arranged the the song in Cubase 5.1, but ultimately transferred it into Pro Tools LE and 'finished' it.

Overall, I think it ended up sounding pretty cool. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2003, 02:45 PM

hi guys, sorry I'm late... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Swap,
I had no idea The Beatles got back together just to do 'MushatootinnanyNay'!...when did this happen?...hehe... Man, that thing is so refreshing, it was great to hear. What killed me was when they really take off, and the one guy does the dakka-bukka-dakka-bukka thing in the background... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Those guys are hot! Sign em up!

Inteldoc,
Great job on those acoustic guitars. Great presence and clarity, and it's a beautiful song too...I really like the choruses. As Chris said, the violin is mixed so that it sounds real, so good job there (I bet the harmonica idea would have been cool too, but it works as is). If I were there mixing with you, I would probably suggest a little more compression on the vocal, but still, great job IMOpinion... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
thanks, Roy

and Sir Jackson!
Well, of course, I'm prejudiced to your own stuff in the first place, having gotten to know and play on some of it. But, it sounds like you did an excellent engineering job for these artist/clients. The one that stands out most to me is 'Small Comfort'. It's got soul and you did a great job on it. 'Oxygen' and 'Please Me' are good and done well, but 'Small Comfort' is to me, the best song. Great job... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
So, isn't it about time for some new 'BRB songs'?
Thanks for letting me listen, and let me know if you need me on anything.~Roy
Old 07-08-2003, 03:03 PM

probably the only song i'll ever write about my chronic masturbation problem

http://www.heartparts.com/xtras/shawn/morebetter.mp3