Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-28-2003, 08:51 AM

Default am i on the right track with mbox?

hi,
i'm getting ready to purchase an mbox.
i know i also need:
more ram (how much more?)
external firewire hard drive (is 60-80mb enough?)
i'm also considering an rnc compressor or two for tracking.

this is what i have to work with so far:
imac dv se
os9.0.4 (i have os9.2.1-should i install that?)
400mhz
128mb ram

sony spressa usb cd burner (how can i get this to work since the mbox and keyboard take up my 2 usb ports?)

i have plenty of mics.

sorry for all the stupid questions, but searching through here has been extremely helpful.
i'm a singer/songwriter and probably won't use that many tracks.
(acoustic guitar/vocal - maybe percussion/mandolin/dobro etc.)
i just want the bare minimum to get started smoothly.
i appreciate all you help so far.
thanks!
Old 03-28-2003, 09:05 AM

Default Re: am i on the right track with mbox?

Just increase your RAM to 256MB (but I'd prefer 384MB) and hold back a little the external hard drive purchase. If you are not gonna use a lot of tracks, you might be set using the internal drive. And update your OS to 9.2.2.
Another thing concerning RAM... if you are considering installing later OSX and Pro Tools 6, you will have to increase the memory on your iMac to at least 384MB RAM. Digi suggests 512MB to run PT under OS X.
Also, get a drive defrag program...
Old 03-28-2003, 03:29 PM

my experience with usb cd burners is that you cannot use them with a hub. you definitely can't use the mbox with a hub, so you're gonna have to get creative with plugging and unplugging. You can get fast firewire cd burners for pretty cheap nowadays...
Old 03-28-2003, 08:05 PM

You can see by my setup that I have a very similar one to what you are looking for. I also have a Spressa CD burner and it is a Firewire and I would really reccomend that. It is a lot faster than USB. You definately want 9.2.2 and it says that you have to have at least 9.1 to even use PT 5.2
I had Pro Tools running well on this my iMac with 320 megs of RAM in OS 9 but I had to bump it up to 512 to use with PT 6 in OS X.
Just so you know, the Mbox is only suppoerted by Digi on the G3 iMac with 5.2 on OS 9, but I am using it just fine in OS X.
I have a 40 gig firewire hard drive as you can see and it is plenty for me. You can get started with you internal dive but you wil want an external soon enough.
I hope this helps.
120 gig Maxtor 7200 2 MB Firwire
Old 03-28-2003, 08:10 PM

By the way, for just a few tracks the only reason to get a Firewire drive is for the extra space because you don't need the speed.
If you want to hear how this setup will sound, I can email you a song that I recorded of a friend in January with this setup playing a guitar, dobro and electric bass. The Mbox is a great little device. I think yo love it. I have, I only wish it was Firewire. :-S
120 gig Maxtor 7200 2 MB Firwire
Old 03-28-2003, 11:57 PM

thanks everybody for your help.
thanks dalecoz. it's good to know someone else out there has a similar setup.
i think i'll get more ram and upgrade to OSx and go from there - mbox, hard drive, compressor, monitors.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:59 PM

thanks everybody for your help.
thanks dalecoz. it's good to know someone else out there has a similar setup.
i think i'll get more ram and upgrade to OSx and go from there - mbox, hard drive, compressor, monitors.
Old 03-29-2003, 12:05 AM

as far as the usb burner/mbox issue, usb is 'hot-swappable', so just keep the mbox plugged in for audio work and when you need to burn swap 'em out. (or you MIGHT be able to work w/ usb hub but check for compatibility(i think the mbox needs to be plugged directly in). you sound like your on the right track, but in my opinion, you might want to upgrade to os X and PT6. main reason being that protools is a very demanding application. if you do lots of other stuff w/ your machine you may have some conflicts(extensions) to sort through to get a stable system running. w/ osx this is not an issue. everything runs just stap dandy.