Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 11-19-2013, 11:12 AM

Default Eleven Rack communication issues under OSX 10.9

I recently installed PT 11.0.3 under Mac OSX 10.9. I have been using the 003 and eleven rack with no issues for several years. I am now getting the following message when launching protools. Immediately after seeing the “getting number of plugins” dialog, I get this: “ communication with the eleven rack has experienced an error. Would you like to reconnect?”. Clicking yes brings up the previous error message and the Eleven Rack is not recognized in protools. In system preferences, I see both the 003 and the Eleven Rack, all correct settings.
It appears to be random, sometimes it can connect and sometimes it cant.
I recently upgraded to PT 11.0.3 on a Mac, as follows: Under OSX 10.8.5, I uninstalled the drivers for both the eleven rack and the 003 interface. I then installed Mavericks 10.9 OS. I then installed the latest drivers for the Eleven Rack (1.2) and the 003 (11.1). I did a clean uninstall of Protools and then installed PT 11.0.3.
My system is configured as follows: I have an Apogee Rosetta 800 connected to the 003 optically. The Eleven Rack is connected to the computer USB and to the 003 with spdif cables, both in and out. The 003 is selected in the playback engine dialog, external clock ADAT 48k. 003 is selected in Hardware settings and the Eleven Rack is set to external clock (SPDIF) in system prefs. I power up the Rosetta first, then the Eleven Rack, the 003 and then boot the computer.
I am running an early 2009 8 core Mac Pro, 2.26 ghz, 16g ram. I have done all system optimizations recommended by Avid, have tried different USB cables and different usb ports, all direct into the Mac Pro. I have 4 internal drives including the system drive and 2 external drives for backup that are always off but connected to the Mac. All AAX plugins are current and compatible.
Anyone have any ideas. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:30 AM

Default Re: ELeven Rack communication issues under OSX 10.9

Have you tried turning off the computer and unplug all your interfaces.

Then plug in, say just the 003. Power on 003 then computer.

Open PT and make sure the 003 is working as the interface. Once confirmed, close PT, power OFF computer and 003, unhook 003 and plug in Eleven Rack.

Turn on 11R, then computer.

Open PT with the 11R as the interface. Does it work? If so, power off computer and 11R.

Hook everything back up as you had it and see if that makes any difference.

Another thing to try is trash preferences and databases.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nd_Preferences

You can try a uninstall and re-install of PT 11.0.3 as well

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-19-2013, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack communication issues under OSX 10.9

Brian, thanks for the reply. While I havent physically disconnected either the Eleven Rack or the 003, I was able to get both the 003 working as the interface with the Eleven Rack turned off, and I can also get the Eleven Rack working with the 003 turned off. I will try to disconnect each as you suggest. I only seem to get the error when they are both connected.

I did trash prefs and databases and restarted and it seemed to work, but then the problem came back. If the above doesnt help, I'll try a reinstall of PT 11.0.3.

Thanks again.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:52 PM

Yep, I would try the re-install of PT11.0.3

You may want to re-install the drivers as well, follow the directions given by Avid. I'd try just re-installing PT11.0.3 first though.

If none of that works, write back and I'll see if I can get someone who knows more about OSX to take a look at this to see if its a 10.9 specific problem.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/D...-0-3-Downloads

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nload/en379411

I guess you could also try installing the latest iLok Manager, I doubt that is the problem, but it shouldn't hurt.
https://www.ilok.com/

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-21-2013, 07:11 AM

Hey Brian, so I've uninstalled and reinstalled ProTools and I still have the same problem. I then went through the process if reinstalling the drivers and ProTools but no change.

Obviously with a problem like this, it's tough to say anything for certain but it seems that if I say no to the "reconnect to eleven" dialog and open a session and then close it, quit ProTools and relaunch, then it loads the eleven rack and all is fine. Not sure if that means anything.

So with a few steps, I can eventually get the eleven rack to be recognized by ProTools. I appreciate any further advice to resolve this issue. Thanks again.

Larry
Old 11-21-2013, 10:40 AM

Avid is looking in to this issue. It was able to be reproduced on another Mac with 10.9

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-21-2013, 11:32 AM

Great, thanks again for all your help Brian.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:38 PM

lbar11:
Do you have any Native Instruments stuff on your computer? There's something called NI Hardware Agent that installs with Komplete 8 (and 9) that interferes with communications between the computer and 11 Rack. Specifically it messes up the MIDI control communication but leaves the audio interface part working. There might be other MIDI software that do the same thing. I would get this in both PT 10.3.7 and 11.0.2. Had to delete NI Hardware Agent and everything was okay.

PT would throw up the same error message you got.

QAPLA!
Old 11-24-2013, 04:24 PM

Musicman, no native instrument plugs here. AIR virtual instruments, ivory piano, waves, eventide, etc. not sure if any of those could be an issue.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:39 PM

Brian, any word on a fix for this issue yet, I was hopeful with the release of 11.1 but didn't see anything.

Thanks again.