Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2008, 06:20 PM

Default 003- Monitoring and Transients

I've tried analogue monitoring from front and back of the 003 Factory using a decent set of reference headphones (DT880 with quality amp) and am unable to spot much difference between the various outlets. Maybe my ears are getting old but I'm sure I'm losing transients somewhere.
But where ?

Is it in the D/A? Would an independant D/A make a difference (anyone tried this approach) - or is the problem earlier in the chain at the A/D stage (the specs on the A/Ds seem pretty good) or elsewhere - ?

If there's anyone gone down a similar route and I'd appreciate any thoughts. I'm aware of the Black Lion folks assessments but I don't have the rack - and am wary of putting bucks down for Apogee/or RME without knowing it will solve the problem significantly. Is there a site somewhere which can demonstrate the difference?

Thanks for your consideration

RichardP