Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2013, 10:20 PM

Default PCIe version and lane slot size

In the AVID site there is no info about PCIe version, or lane slot size (indicated with x). I have 4 questions for MAC, 2 about HDX and 2 about HD since there is no HD forum

About HDX
1) The PT HDX PCIe Card physically have the size of a PCIe x16 card, but the part that inserts in the slot is smaller. It is x1, x4 or x8? Or come in different slot sizes?
2) The PT HDX PCIe Card runs at which PCIe version? Version 1 = 250MBs, Ver2=500MBs or Ver3=1GBs

About HD
1) The PT HD PCIe Card physically have the size of a PCIe x16 card, but the part that inserts in the slot is smaller. It is x1, x4 or x8? Or come in different slot sizes?
2) The PT HD PCIe Card runs at which PCIe version? Version 1 = 250MBs, Ver2=500MBs or Ver3=1GBs
Old 12-19-2013, 10:40 PM

Default Re: PCIe version and lane slot size

Welcome to the forum. Yes there is a HD forum, it's just lower in the list because TDM is legacy now.

As per card specs, I don't really know but here's my guess:

- HD Accel PCIe was introduced when Apple PowerMac G5 moved to PCIe, so it must be v1 and x1 just to be sure.
- HDX is an upgrade to that, so it is possible it may be v2 and x4

Cards are full length because the DSP chips weigh quite much and cards need support on the other end. And because full length card can take more DSP chips Card length has little to do with how many lanes it uses.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:20 AM

Thanks for your answer and for indicating the location of the HD forum
Is important to know the PCIe size and slot lanes to design a computer intended to run PT HDX or HD. Also know if the slots are all the same. For example, did Accel cards came x1 and Core came x4?. To design a PT Mac, basically the options are the New Mac Pro 2013 or the previous one.

The previous Mac Pro everyone knows (and for the ones that dont know, the specs are easy accesible on the Apple site) that it have 4 slots. 2 x16 slots and 2 x8 slots. One x16 slos is used for de video card. So there are 3 slots left for PT cards. Late Mac Pro are PCIe Version 2. The last ones (prior 2013) run at the "lanes full" speed. That is the two x16 slots run at x16, and 2 x8 slots run at x8. Older Mac PCIe lanes does not run at "full lane speed" because it distribute the lanes. For example: the video x16 lane run at x16, but the other x16 (the one free with out card) would run at for example x8 (situation solved on last Macs as I stated before).

New Mac Pro 2013 PCIe specs are different. It have 3 PCIe slots ocupied by 2 video cards and a flash drive (Solid State Hard Drive running on a PCIe slot, instead of on a SATA controller). There is not any more empty PHYSICALL PCIe slots. But I did not find if there are "LOGICAL" PCIe slots able to be used by a Magma expancion device, how many "LOGICAL" devices are avaliable to use (which will probably run at slower speed than a native physical PCIe slot located directly on the Mother Board) and the lanes speeds indicated on "x". Then to add PT cards is necesary a Magma expancion device, conected to the Thunderbolt 2. I was checking the Magma devices and they run at PCIe Version 2 and is not clear if they do at he speed of Thunderbolt 1 or 2. So is not clear if to run PT cards at ful spedd is best to buy a Mac Pro 2013 or the older ones.

No tech specs avaliable for that, at least to my knowledge
Maybe I start a new theread about it with a more "specs oriented" info
Old 12-22-2013, 01:23 PM

My system Mac Pro 5,1 HDX is running @4X Pcie V2
The main obstacle for HDX not HDN is the added 6pin power need.
Both Sonnet and Magma make this available in their TB chassis if your going the cylinder MP. 6,1. 5,1 MP's from 2010-2013, 4,1 would be the oldest I would choose as expansion of memory cost goes up as the MP gets older.
Compatibility goes back to 2008 3,1 MP's

You may find more tech detail looking up hackenmac setups
Old 12-22-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambidextrous.PR View Post
Also know if the slots are all the same. For example, did Accel cards came x1 and Core came x4?
They're all the same. Only difference between Core and Accel is a certain chip that makes the card a Core card.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:44 PM

Hello,

HDX = x4 lane
HDN = x1 lane
HDTDM = x1 lane

HDX doesn't function properly without a x4 slot even though the bandwidth would fit on a x1.

Hugh