Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2003, 04:53 PM

Default In your face stereo lead vocal....

I'm getting ready to mix a song in which I want to have the common big contrast between the verse and the chorus. The verse vocal is sort of dry, and I want to make the chorus very wide and phatt. I typically stack it with two passes, but I want to try something different due to the nature of the vocal. Any cool ideas that won't create phase problems?

Thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2003, 05:14 PM

Default Re: In your face stereo lead vocal....

You can do this a bunch of different ways. Use delays is the simplest. Do a short and long delay mono or use a stereo delay and take your short left and long right. If you have the ability you should pitch shift each one too. Increase the effects in the chorus. Good luck! Hope this helps.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:13 PM

If it's not too late, or in the future, try miking the singer using an M-S configuration.

You can easily go mono for the verses and get as much width as you'd like on chorus, even widen the vocal image progressively over a chorus.

No phase problems at all, and guaranteed mono compatability.

D
Old 03-13-2003, 07:22 PM

I love "in your face" vocals, and I really don't think that stereo vocals is the way to go. Blending the right amount of different vocal takes right in the middle is what is going to give you that in your face sound.

Stereo on vocals can be interesting, but will never sound in your face.

However, once you have your fat-in-your-face-mono track of vocals, you can always add some stereo element to it: reverb (pretty obvious), chorus, flanger, phaser, setreo-izer, or even other takes with effects (like disto...). But I would start with a big fat center track that brings the punch.

6am eternal
Old 03-13-2003, 08:28 PM

Sometimes, if I am working on a TDM system I will copy the vocal track in the chorus. I will then run the copied vocal through Amp Farm and distort it, layering it under the main vocal.

On a 001 you can get the same effect by A: running the vocal into a POD if you have one and tracking the distoreted vocal. Or B: you can copy the track and run the copy through something like Sans Amp.

This works for a fat rock vocal. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2003, 11:01 PM

Keep them dry, the more effects used incorrectly will push them back, I dont care what they say, the dry vocal is always more in your face.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:22 PM

Quote:
the dry vocal is always more in your face.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeah, I was listening to Tom Petty on the radio the other day and thought how is his vocal so in my face yet the band is loud?... dry as a bone & nicely compressed.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 03-13-2003, 11:38 PM

verse-mono
chorus-stereo
Old 03-14-2003, 06:36 AM

While I agree that dry is in your face. You can use delays so they fatten up the lead vocal. Some of you think that this means a vocal with delays bouncing across the track especially if you have two going at the same time (long and short). You couldn't be more wrong. These should so low you can't hear it in the track. Try a 16th and 32nd note. If you want delay for increasing effect try an 8th note where you can hear it.

Use of slight delays will make the voice fatter. Using less reverb makes it "dryer".
Old 03-14-2003, 06:46 AM

Hey I did a mix for my buds, they wanted if your face vocals. There's a 40sec. sample of it here or here too! ,go to the audio page, let it load. They're Hate Wont Stop Hate. I used a mixture of Waves Renn Comp, McDsp's Compressor Bank3,and a pinch of verb. They were happy!