Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2018, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Tape plugin, what you guys using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I've never found anything universally good.
This ^
Old 02-25-2018, 04:29 PM

Remember Heat is also console transformer warmth. I like the AC plug a lot, and usually use the Swiss Modern. The Kramer is really specific to me, I'm not sure I would trust it as a master bus colorizer, but I find it great as a mild full-range distortion. I haven't had the J37 for long, but I've got high hopes for it on certain projects. I never jumped into Slate, although I've listened to guys using it at mastering sessions. Don't forget Massey's TapeHead, also more of a distortion option. I sort of see all those colors as a "season to taste" thing, specific to each project. Waves NLS, not to mention the API compressor, go a long way towards dialing in some warmth without the tape analogy.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:21 PM

A tape recorder is not a guitar amp! A tape model can really enhance detail if you keep the level low. It's unfortunate that the term "saturation" gets thrown around so much.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
A tape recorder is not a guitar amp! A tape model can really enhance detail if you keep the level low. It's unfortunate that the term "saturation" gets thrown around so much.
And they look quite different! Seriously though I like the plugs I mentioned exactly for the distortion/saturation possibilities (Kramer and Tapehead) . And Bob, I forget exactly what years you were at Motown, but if I ever need tom fills and overall kit to sound like this, I find the Kramer really helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKPd9GUadxc

I know the reality of that sound may have nothing to do with what we're talking about, though, and with total respect for all your experiences, I love to hear you talk about it. Otherwise, peace and thanks anyway...