Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 07:30 AM

Default Help needed, snapshot-automation of plugins

Hello.
I am working on a dialog-session of a shortfilm, and I would like to change the settings of the eq-plugin on the boom track, through different scenes.
Is there a way for this using snapshot automation? I've never got the hang of it really, and would appreciate some help.
If i save 5 different presets to the eq's memory, how do I 'toggle' between them?
It would be easy if there was an automation parameter called 'change preset' in the add parameter-dialog, but there's not.
At the moment I', using 5 duplicated tracks, each with different settings on the plugin, but this doesn't seem to be very user-friendly...
I'm on PT7.1 HD
Thanks alot!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Help needed, snapshot-automation of plugins

This is how I go about it:

1. In the plug-in, enable all of the parameters you want to automate.
2. Set the automation mode for the track you want to automate to Off
3. Dial in your plug-in settings or load a preset for the first snapshot.
4. Select the area on the track for this snapshot.
5. In the automation window, make sure plug-in is highlighted and turn off any other parameters that you do NOT want to automate.
6. Go to the Edit menu and then to Automation and choose Write to all enabled

Repeat steps 2 through 6 for the next snapshot and don't forget to set the automation mode on the track to Read when you're all done.

Let's say for example that you're on your third snapshot and you want to use the first snapshot as a starting point for the settings. Set the track automation mode to Read, drop the selector tool somewhere within the boundaries of the snapshot so the settings are loaded and then set the track automation mode to Off. Now you can adjust your settings and write them to a new selection elesewhere in the track.

More info starting on page 625 of the reference guide.
Mac Pro 2019 16-core, 96GB RAM, OS 10.15.2
Old 10-23-2006, 08:46 AM

Larry speaks truth--that method works very well.

For some reason, though, I don't use it. I guess I don't like turning automation off because I always seem to forget to turn it back on. What I tend to do is with the track in latch mode, dial in the settings that I want, using command-shift-c to copy the plugin settings when I get something I like, then go back to the beginning of the section and use command-shift-v to paste it and writing the automation through that section. You can also use command-option-/ (write automation to all enabled parameters) on the whole selection after the transport has stopped.

The new "write automation to punch point" in 7.2 helps -- it writes the settings you have when you hit the key back to where you first started automating that parameter. I use it like this for plugin settings: with the transport moving and the track in "latch" I load a snapshot (any snapshot, including <factory default>) at the point where I want the new settings to hit, then dial in the settings I want and hit the manual "write automation to punch point" key on the automation enable window when I like it. Then either stop the transport, hit the "auto match" key or take the track out of "latch" mode to touch or read and you're set.

It can be a little confusing at first, but when you get the hang of it, it's a real time saver.

I'm not sure exactly how it would be implemented without messing up the ability to automate single plugin parameters (like an EQ sweep), but I agree that it would be useful if there was a single automation parameter that automated a whole snapshot. Perhaps it would help if you could view, copy, paste, etc ALL of the plugin parameters on the track at once, insetad of one by one.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:36 AM

THANK YOU!!!
Got it working, wasn't as complicated as the Reference Guide explains it.
Really appreciate it!
Old 10-23-2006, 12:15 PM

Good post, KingTor. I've been using my method for years, but I like your way as well. I just keep putting off taking the time to learn some of the newer features in 7.2 and that one looks like a timesaver.

Thanks.
Mac Pro 2019 16-core, 96GB RAM, OS 10.15.2
Old 10-24-2006, 02:33 AM

Quote:
This is how I go about it:

1. In the plug-in, enable all of the parameters you want to automate.
2. Set the automation mode for the track you want to automate to Off
3. Dial in your plug-in settings or load a preset for the first snapshot.
4. Select the area on the track for this snapshot.
5. In the automation window, make sure plug-in is highlighted and turn off any other parameters that you do NOT want to automate.
6. Go to the Edit menu and then to Automation and choose Write to all enabled

Thanks Dweller.

Finally I understand how to get this snapshot working. What a time saver!
Amazing how you never stop learning,

Timothy