Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-21-2018, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Reverb?

I normally use individual sends for verb on drums, meaning I will not send the entire drum bus out to the verb, but instead the individual tracks. This allows me to, for example, make the snare and toms wetter and the kick drum and overheads drier. This way just makes the most sense for me, as I like to use the same verb (aux) for multiple sources. I record mostly hard rock.

On another note, I've noticed in the past several years that a lot of DIY mixes/pre-production tracks/etc.. I hear seem to use reverb where I would use delay instead. Try delay, it has electrolytes!
Old 03-23-2018, 02:21 AM

WOW WOW WOW......

I've been experimenting this week by adding more reverb than i normally do to a mix I'm working on, I've even added reverb to instruments/tracks that i never normally would. Overheads is one of them. I always struggled with my cymbals being to upfront and harsh, but if i turned them down they were just not loud enough, now i know reverb is the trick

Today i did a bounce down of the nearly completed track and played it on a few systems and WOW!! I cant believe what I've been missing. This is now bringing my track closer to a commercial sound, the track has more space, more air i cant believe how much this has changed my sound.

I'm sure i need to practice these techniques to make it even better but i'm happy what I've discovered and manage to achieve so far.

Thank you guys for all your input. All these years I've avoided using reverb because everything I've heard about when first mixing was typical amateur mistake was adding too much reverb to a track.

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 03-23-2018, 05:29 AM

As a corollary to this (I'm assuming we're talking about real drums here) is that the techniques being talked about will also work with vi drums. You just have to split out to multiple audio tracks the various kit pieces. I do this with BFD3.

QAPLA!
Old 04-04-2018, 02:21 AM

I definitely put most reverbs on aux tracks myself. There are a few exceptions, like when I'm trying to create an artificial set of overhead or room mics, from minimalistic drum recordings.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:18 AM

I would try the Valhalla Room plugin with a short decay time (under .5s) and a vintage room
Old 04-16-2018, 01:48 PM

If it's not too late to chime in I believe sometimes a minimal use of reverb in the snare and the toms is all some drums need, and I repeat, sometimes and some styles of music. I made this video where you can hear the idea, the explanation is at the end, I used Eventide 2016
https://youtu.be/bUsiP16BLF8
Old 04-16-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
As a corollary to this (I'm assuming we're talking about real drums here) is that the techniques being talked about will also work with vi drums. You just have to split out to multiple audio tracks the various kit pieces. I do this with BFD3.
Absolutely^^^ I never use the plugin room or ambience sounds. Using my own makes those drums sound more like me and less like the other 20,000 people with the same plugin

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-16-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
WOW WOW WOW......

I've been experimenting this week by adding more reverb than i normally do to a mix I'm working on, I've even added reverb to instruments/tracks that i never normally would. Overheads is one of them. I always struggled with my cymbals being to upfront and harsh, but if i turned them down they were just not loud enough, now i know reverb is the trick

Today i did a bounce down of the nearly completed track and played it on a few systems and WOW!! I cant believe what I've been missing. This is now bringing my track closer to a commercial sound, the track has more space, more air i cant believe how much this has changed my sound.

I'm sure i need to practice these techniques to make it even better but i'm happy what I've discovered and manage to achieve so far.

Thank you guys for all your input. All these years I've avoided using reverb because everything I've heard about when first mixing was typical amateur mistake was adding too much reverb to a track.
Hi,

Might want to try having filters, Hi pass and Lo pass EQ before the reverb on the aux. sometimes helps to remove some of the lower frequencies going to the verb and sometimes some hi frequencies as well. helps to keep it all from getting too muddy and washed out, more dence sounding so you don't really notice its there till its gone.

Also EQ after the verb or delay to find the sweet spot for the verbs and dekays can work great.

Automation is good as well as you don't often want as much through intros and verses generally.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:23 AM

I have had some really good luck with my drum "verb" chain, for my sound. Here's the idea, the specifics of how/what to do with them is contextual...

-Overheads only (In parallel):

1.) [Stereo AUX1] de-esser>Gate>Compressor>Reverb1>Expander
2.) [Stereo AUX2] Delay
3.) [Mono AUX1] Reverb2

Track 1 has low range de-esser to take out the bite by a few dB into a slow attack gate with high range into gentle Buss Compressor into Diffuse "Dark Ambient" Long Verb 2-3 sec with pre-delay set to same as [track2] into a low range expander with slow decay.

Track 2 has a "doubling" sort of slap delay around 20-30ms that coincides with Reverb1 pre-delay. [must be mixed in mono then to stereo to assure proper phasing]

Track 3 is a short reverb usually under 500ms that I try to make sound similar to (then 2-3x more than) the drum overheads room ambiance.

The listener should hear: Direct>Reverb2>Delay>Reverb1

In reverb, think of the final blend-in as vinegar... Nobody likes it, but they don't know its there if they can't smell it. Like Umami in the food world, reverb should be a "depth" of flavor, Not the "flavor" itself.

It doesn't work for everything, but when dialed in, it gives an amazing ambient swell relative to percussion. Overheads are the only tracks I use as the reverb sends as direct mics tend to give a dated sound.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:20 AM

I, too, like to use multiple reverb, one with much longer predelay and less transient information to push it towards the back of the virtual space. Another much less predelay and a shorter duration and with more character to get the immediate sound around the drums and puts it in a context. The other Ferber just really states just how big that context is, but does it in more controlled way where it doesn’t smother the mix in ambience.

I prefer drier sounds, so I often mix this stuff quite soft. Unless I am going for a genre that does require a more lush acoustic environment.

Convolution reverbs like IR1 are great for setting that immediate environment and character. The second reverb could easily by convolution or algorithmic, though. H-Reverb and bx_rooMS I alternatively use for the latter. I might even add a bit of slap back to the immediate reverb, especially if I’m wanting the kit to sound closer to the listener. I may even push the drum kit’s room and overhead back in the mix if I feel it too big for the space I’m trying to create.

It’s all about setting that metaphorical stage and telling a story. This tells us if we want something intimate or further away, whether it’s dull or bright, whether it’s ambient or dry. Based on what I believes works for the song as a whole is how I will end up balancing between the dry drums, and the other mics, as well as the reverb.

Not everything needs to sound like rock drums.