Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 07-10-2012, 09:03 AM

Default SCSI Drives Availabilty for old Mix Plus

Help!!

My old Glyph drves are going down. I only have one left and need to replace them with something else (SCSI, firewire 400?). Any suggestions?

System:

Mix Plus
G4 (Yikes model, one of the first G4's, cannot be upgraded to System 10x)
Dual SCSI card
System 9.2.2
Apogee AD front end

This system has been rock solid for me and works great.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:02 PM

Default Re: SCSI Drives Availabilty for old Mix Plus

I got some hits on Amazon for SCSI drives but good FW 400 drives with the Oxford 9xx chip sets work well and no SCSI voo-doo

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-10-2012, 04:10 PM

Ditch the SCSI IMO. Firewire all the way.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:10 PM

I would ditch the yikes and get a newer g4. The firewire on blue/white g3s and yikes g4s was very flaky from my experience.

The newer g4s also have 4 open pci slots instead of 3, giving you room to add a firewire or usb2 card if needed.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 07-16-2012, 05:25 PM

Thanks,

I thinkI will have to.

d
Old 07-16-2012, 05:32 PM

Thank You,

I just got a newer G4 with but do not look forward to the install (PY and plugs with Floppies, system compatability etc.) But I have to at least attempt it. (Songwriter with minimal tech chops)

I appreciate your advice.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:26 AM

Which one did you end up getting?

If you got a mirror drive door model, you need to make sure it is a model with only FW400(the FW800 models can't boot os9). The FW400 mdds need a special version of OS9.2 called Os9 General... It's on the original install disks. That's really the only stumbling block I think you'll have.

There should not be anything quirky with the quicksilver or earlier compared to setting up the yikes(You obviously already have the correct usb floppy drive if you're using floppy auth plugins on a yikes, that's really the hardest thing to find).

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
Which one did you end up getting?

If you got a mirror drive door model, you need to make sure it is a model with only FW400(the FW800 models can't boot os9). The FW400 mdds need a special version of OS9.2 called Os9 General... It's on the original install disks. That's really the only stumbling block I think you'll have.

There should not be anything quirky with the quicksilver or earlier compared to setting up the yikes(You obviously already have the correct usb floppy drive if you're using floppy auth plugins on a yikes, that's really the hardest thing to find).
Hi,

I actually have two other CPU systems.

System 1.
G4 Dual 450 PM3,3
Boot ROM 4.2.8f1
FW 400
USB High speed
18GB syst drive
System installed: 10.4.9

This was given to me with a brand new virgin install with a lot of non-music software. I would like to explore leaviing it as is, if possible and use it with my 888/24 and 1622 and PT.

System 2.
G5 Dual 2.7 GHz Model PM 7.3 (pre-Intel)
CPU PowerPC G5 (3.1)
bus speed 1.35 GHz
Boot Rom: 5.2.4f1
FW 800 (FW 400 card installed)
System 10.4.9
Software: Logic 7, Final Cut Pro 6
Apogee Ensemble Interface

I use this with Logic and Final Cut and love it. I also use my Mix Plus/Yikes system to finish about 25 projects from the past. My understanding is that this G5 machine cannot be upgraded to current System versions and current software, (it is stuck in time like the Yikes). That's OK I do not need to change it. I have all the install disks.

My options for the 888/24 and 1622 are what I need to explore:

A. Install the cards in the newer G4 and acquire a newer PT version (6,7,8...)

B. Install the cards in the G5 and acquire a newer PT version (6,7,8...). With this I can use the TDM hardware with Logic as well as use PT.

I would ideally like to use the G5 for both Logic and PT. and only have one system.

I know this is a lot more than my original question, but since my Yikes/PT 5.1.1 system is now appearing to be so fragile, any advice would be great.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 AM

G5's were never officially supported with mix systems, however some users on here have reported success in getting a few G5 models to work with mix cards.

In any configuration, the latest software that will work with Mix core cards is OS10.3.9 and Pro Tools TDM 6.4.1. Any OS or pro tools version after that will not work.

None of the G5's can natively boot in OS9, so you will lose your ability to use your floppy authorized plugins.... You need to find ilok versions of them if they are even available.

I think milesofwire got a mix system working with a dual 2.7 G5 a few years ago... I'm not sure if he used an expansion chassis or if the cards worked directly in the G5. Search the legacy section of the DUC, there's a thread on it somewhere in there.

Shameless plug: If you do decide to go this route and it requires a chassis to work, I currently have a G4/G5 compatible 13slot expansion chassis for sale here:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=325796