Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-15-2009, 12:42 PM

Default Mac G4 and PT 7.4.2 Leapord Good Idea?

I have an older Mac G4 MDD FW800 computer and PT 7.4. I've held off as long as I can , but now need to upgrade to Leopord (OSX 10.5) and 7.4.2. The compatibility chart shows "untested". Anyone have any experience with this combination?
Old 01-17-2009, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Mac G4 and PT 7.4.2 Leapord Good Idea?

Ok, here's the deal-
It will work... *but*-

You are probably going to be limited to basic tracking & editing. Don't expect to be able to mix using any significant amount of plugins. For that matter, don't expect to be able to use very many virtual instruments as well.

I've got a G4 MDD tower that I just bought as a second/backup/family computer for next to nothing. I had some extra drives & RAM laying around, so I maxed it out & got it running as fast as is possible for the machine.

With Leopard 10.5.5 and PT M-Powered 7.4.2, I'm able to open decent sized sessions that were cut on HD.... But in order to not choke the computer, a lot of the heavier plugins & VI's are inactive.

Useable, yes... But will it run like an Intel machine? Not hardly.

You just have to determine what your uses are. For me, I'm a guitar player that does a bulk of my "at home" Pro Tools work simply adding overdubs to existing projects. It works fine for adding a couple of mic'ed amp tracks & forediting work.
But if I were an engineer (which I'm not) doing any type of real mixing, I don't think it would work very well.

Good luck-