Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2012, 06:53 PM

Default Gone from HD system to Native : Best replacement for "pitch' plug-in?

As title says , changed from an older HD system to HD Native in the studio where I teach.

Missing the realtime "Pitch' plug-in very much !

(e.g. people doing character voices on animations etc - so not processed pitch, but realtime plug-in).

Any suggestions?

thanks for any replies,

Simon
Old 03-11-2012, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Gone from HD system to Native : Best replacement for "pitch' plug-in?

What Pitch program are you referring to? To my knowledge, all the plugins that came free with Protools are/were available in native as well.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Gone from HD system to Native : Best replacement for "pitch' plug-in?

"Pitch", available as an insert plug-in in the "pitch shift" sub menu in ProTools HD, but not part of the HD Native set.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:49 AM

As far as I remember, the standard Pitch plugin was always AudioSuite only.

It's still available in my HD10 software, and it's still listed as being included in the official plugin list page:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-...undled-Plugins

If it was also real time, it doesn't seem to be now. However, it may have been replaced by Elastic Audio, which would seem to take care of that area anyway.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:04 PM

I think the OP is talking about this puppy -

http://www.avid.com/US/products/DPP1

It was TDM only. I'm not even sure they make it anymore.

Anyway I've not found an equivalent RTAS plug-in. The Waves Soundshifter one sounds quite good but it has such a long latency (6946 samples) that it's next to useless other than rough auditioning. I tend to use Elastic Audio too as the processing time is pretty quick, it's easily adjustable, and you don't have to commit to a completely "processed" track (providing the EA is running in 'realtime').
Old 03-14-2012, 05:18 PM

Thanks midnightrambler, that's the one - was renamed "Pitch" and included in TDM :

"DPP-1 is included as a free DigiRack plug-in named Pitch with Pro Tools TDM 6.0 and higher."

Shame that there's no RTAS - I also use Elastic Audio for shifting recorded material, but it was the realtime I was using Pitch for.

In the meantime - in case anyone else wants realtime pitch for vox FX etc - I've been using a free pluggo called Piczer :

http://www.studiomelange.pl/jk/pluggo.html

... which requires the installation of (free) Pluggo Mac Runtime Version 3.6.1

http://cycling74.com/downloads/discontinued/

Works fine on OSX 10.6.8; not sure if it will survive the 10.7 transition ....
Old 03-14-2012, 06:50 PM

Soundtoys Crystalizer
Audio Damage Discord (excellent VST but wrapped?)
Eventide are presently porting their plugs to AAX native so it might be worth to wait a bit...

Darryl Ramm
Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the tips groundcontrol, will check them out .... though will probably keep away from any more non-free VSTs for Pro Tools until Fxpansion get around to updating the 2006 version of the wrapper :)
Old 03-17-2012, 03:29 PM

zplane elastique pitch is the one i'll recommend. watch the demo on youtube. relatively cheap. very cost efficient.

http://products.zplane.de/index.php?page=elastiquepitch
Old 03-17-2012, 05:04 PM

Thanks rafukyo, I'll try that one out ...